RCU Forums - View Single Post - SIG Four-Star 60 Build
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 03:30 PM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

This way of building is conducive to using CA. Since I don't use CA this type of construction is a real PITA...

All the pieces laid out.

With the bottom main spar pinned into position, the one piece shear web is placed on top. (This is the first time I've seen the grain in the shear webbing running in that direction. I always orientate the grain vertically for strength.)

All of the ribs simply interlock together. A very easy way to construct a wing if it's your first build. (I apologize how my hands look, working on cars for a living make them look that way, they really are clean...)

Double bonus building tip for tonight! Tip #1- The 1/4" x 1/4" square stock shown is the bottom rear wing spar (no that's not the tip). Notice how I've pushed the spar tight against the aluminum square tubing. This is a good way to ensure that the spar is pinned straight over the plans. Don't trust the lines on your plans to be straight and true, especially if your plans don't lay flat as is most of the case with folded plans.

Tip #2-You may think that your balsa square stock is dimensionally equal. It probably isn't, so before you pin your stock down find which side fits tighter in the notch of the rib. You will see and feel the difference.

Last edited by VincentJ; 03-15-2019 at 01:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Wully (12-21-2021)