RCU Forums - View Single Post - The EAA Get's It, why not the AMA?
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 09:39 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grognard
Except Franklin. Franklin thinks models are "toys".
Well, they are! It may be unfortunate, but I believe that Franklin's stance, while they have ALWAYS been toys, is even more relevant now that the FAA is in charge. Like it or not, the fact is that we are talking about sharing the NAS with ALL aircraft. In that heirarchy, our planes ARE toys! That is a FACT and cannot be refuted, no matter what your opinion is, or how passionate you might be about your toys, they are still toys.

Originally Posted by grognards
He will exploit natural divisions within the community to set modelers at odds with "droners", and against each other.
First, I don't believe that anybody ought to be at odds with anybody. Differing opinions? sure! At odds? NO!
The concept of modelers vs. droners has received much attention in recent years, and I believe is very much misunderstood. While I know that there ARE some that despise multi-rotors and drones, I believe it is a miniscule minority. I believe the division should be made between traditional and drones where their capabilities demand that they affect the NAS differently. Again, this is a FACT and should be addressed accordingly. No need to cast dispersion on one or another, they just need to be treated differently because they ARE DIFFERENT!
First he'll go after the sailplanes and larger models that need higher altitude limitations to operate. Then the faster planes that need wider boundaries. Finally the park fliers and anything homemade. At each step he'll wave the safety flag and quote selectively chosen facts in order to make his approach seem reasonable, hoping that most of us will sacrifice the few in order to protect the many. But at the end of the day he wants them all.
For the sake of keeping the peace in the forums, don't hate the player, hate the game. If you step back and look at how you and Franklin go back and forth, it is very clear that you have differing opinions (many of Franklin's opinions are supported by facts, mind you and should not be challenged, unless you have a different set of facts to refute his!), please just let the differing opinions be just that, differing opinions. If you MUST try to change the others' mind, do it with facts and stay away from the personal crap!

And I don't begrudge him that. He's free to advocate for anything he wants. A man has to feed the family and an O-5's retirement pay doesn't go that far, unless you live in the "middle of nowhere" like some of us do. If he's being paid to advocate certain positions, hey it's a free country. I just wish he'd be honest about the true motivation.
I believe that he HAS been honest about his true motivation! He is concerned about the safe integration of models into the NAS and with that, that all who particiapate in model aviation should have equal access to that NAS, without regard to CBO affiliation. It's not that hard to see, really. If you were to take a step back and see the forest for the trees, you might actually see that it is YOUR beliefs and opinions that are actually MORE biased than Franklin's!

I hope you are able to read my post for what it is and realize that while I DID ask you to take an honest look at you and your beliefs, motivations, statements, etc., I did not personally attack you or cast a dispersion on you, so please do not do what I have seen you do with those that don't necessarily type what you like and retaliate.

Thank-You!

Reagrds,

Astro