RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pacific Ace 74 inch
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 04:43 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Puttied the wings last night. Iv'e puttied and sand places that I would never bother with except this plane is going to covered in transparent red with white as the trim color. So pretty much everything is visible.

Today I mounted the engine. I had a new mount for the .25 as the last shattered when I crashed the plane it was mounted to. Screwed the mount to the face of a 2x4 and check that it was level, then used my drill press. Sure is nice having it back in business again. It was down while I replaced the motor bearings and then had to resit and lock tight the pulley set screw. But now I know I am going to drill straight holes . some times takes a bit of set up time, but that is more than fine.

The muffler would not clear the side of the aircraft when the engine was straight up, so that is why it is cocked over at 45 degrees. I put the 6 ounce tank together so I could get it's center line and thus mount the engine so the carb center was lined up with the tank center line. I gave myself a little fudge room with the tank, so it is not all the way up to the top of the tank compartment. Heck the nose of this bird is pretty big so might as well give fudge room.

Also another thing I did was to add some 1/4" to the lower spruce stringers that attach to the bottom of the fire wall. I had found it necessary to make kerf cuts in them at 45 degree angles to make the finale bends. So the 1/4" sheet I added reinforces the stringers. I have some 1/32" birch ply that bends real easy. I am going to cover the nose section with it.

And then I am looking at all the parts and thinking not a lot left till the wing panels need to joined. So I started jigging up for that. When everything fits right The I will epoxy the dihedral doublers and build the center section in between them.

Ken

Last edited by flyingagin; 01-23-2020 at 04:45 PM.