RCU Forums - View Single Post - Comment on tbe FAA NPRM
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 05:24 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Or could this " show us your AMA number " be a ploy to exclude our R/C brother from Canada should he choose to join the conversation?

Personally I think what would add some "cred " would be achievements we have gained while in the hobby. Doesn't nessesarily mean competition records but could mean the length of time as an AMA member, ever held a club office, ever been a CD, complexity of models built, have you designed your own models, what is your current project etc. I find it quite funny that to the best of my recollection I am the only one whom has ever posted pictures of their handiwork, funny how posting pictures of a model airplane on a model airplane site was deemed off topic and seemed to rub some wrong. IMO if we want to establish some " cred " then show us you are active in the hobby other then pounding on a keyboard daily. No Init4fun, this is not directed just at you but everyone in this thread.
Building toy planes, designing toy planes etc. gives you credibility on the topic of building and designing of toy planes. Being an AMA member, holding a club office, and being a CD give you credibility when it comes to the actions necessary in those roles.

Teaching policy making and implementation in an accredited Master's program, spending two decades making and implementing policy governing aviation operations gives one credibility in the making and implementing of public policy. Similarly, formal training in aviation safety program management and decades being accountable for managing aviation safety programs and safe aviation operations in complex, high tempo, and high risk flying gives on credibility in the making, implementing, and execution of aviation safety and operations policy.

Heck, even the "agents of the AMA" CDs do not receive any formal safety training, no formal operational risk management training, no aviation operations training ... NOTHING. So I'll put my pubic public policy making, aviation safety program management training, aviation safety program management, aviation operations management, and aviation operations and safety policy making and implementation "cred" against toy plane, AMA club officer, or even AMA CD "cred" anytime.

And this is especially true when the issue at hand is AVIATION SAFETY AND OPERATIONS PUBLIC POLICY, in the form of a proposed rule (hint hint that's public policy) governing operation of recreational sUAS in the public airspace (hint hint that Aviation Operations Public Policy) to help ensure safety in the public airspace (hint hint that's Aviation Operations Safety Public Policy).

Last edited by franklin_m; 01-24-2020 at 05:40 AM.