RCU Forums - View Single Post - Kingtech G2 failsafe
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 09:38 AM
Afterburners

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by wfield0455
Setting up turbine fail safe is not done in the ECU, it's done in your transmitter. I personally have the fail-safe for my throttle channel set to OFF, which when the receiver loses contact with the transmitter causes the servo pule on the throttle channel to cease being output. IF this continues for a couple of seconds the ECU will shut down the turbine and log the shut down code as Lost RC (or something to that effect). I consider this to be very important as ANYTIME my turbine shuts down I want to know WHY. Some have suggested simply setting your throttle fail-safe to the turbine stop setting, which WILL safely shutdown the turbine but will simply be logged as a normal shutdown. I certainly don't want that as it simply throws away valuable information about the shut down cause. This of course assumes a brief loss of control and you eventually regain control. If you have a total, permanent loss of control I guess you wouldn't need to look to the ECU to know that.

Another way that the ECU uses to detect loss of RC for transmitters that don't have the ability to shut off the servo pulse is to detect and "out of bounds" throttle pule width. For example, my transmitter sends a throttle pulse of 1100us for stop, 1300us for run and 1900us for full throttle. Sending a servo pulse significantly outside that range should cause the ECU to recognize a failsafe condition, shut down the turbine and log it as lost RC. So if you simply set your transmitter failsafe to send something outside the 1100-1900us range to the throttle channel (from my example) such as 1000us, then that should do the trick as well.
That's as detailed and accurate a description of how most ECUs detect failsafe as you're going to find. I personally have used both methods with multiple JETCAT and KINGTECH turbines.
Thanks for your input Wayne. I've discussed that in the thread I started in the KT support forum. I've setup Jetcats and JetCentrals. Like Bob mentioned in this thread above, Jetcat has been doing the "out of the learned range" failsafe for a long time and it is explained in detail in their manuals. The Xicoy Ecu's that were used in Jetcentrals up until the last few years were a bit less detailed in how the ECU displays if it was an actual failsafe when the engine shutdown for an unknown reason. The new JetCentrals with their own ECU's will show a failsafe on the display when you turn your radio off even if the engine is not running and was just in the "ready" state. I'm sure when it warms up here enough for me to drag the plane into the backyard and run the engine, it will shutdown when I turn the radio off. I don't know what will be displayed. The KT manual tells you nothing about programming a failsafe in your radio as well as programming the pulse width to be out of the range of the "learned ECU" pulse width range. From the lack of responses in this and the other thread, I don't know what to assume when it comes to the actual functionality of the KT ECU failsafe feature or that most people care as long as the engine shutsdown but will it shutdown if you never set it up in your radio? I don't think so.