RCU Forums - View Single Post - tinning a wire
Thread: tinning a wire
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 04:16 PM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkman-RCU
please help, i just received new batteries esc's and before soldering i figured i practice first on some extra wires and bullit connectors.i haven't soldered in a while but i use a micro torch and 60/40 rosin core leaded solder.when i try to tin a wire the solder will not wick or stick to wire. any answers would be great.

Two things are essential in order for solder flow onto a surface, a wire or a joint. First, whatever you are soldering has to be absolutely clean. Steel wool or sandpaper helps in cleaning, but you have to make sure there's no oil or some kind of residue present. Second, FLUX!!! Without flux, solder will refuse to melt onto the joint.

Point to remember, there are generally 2 types of flux. One is an acid flux that's commonly used for mechanical joints, but the problem with it is that it is corrosive and could eventually destroy an electrical joint. The other flux is called rosin. This one is non corrosive and the correct one to use for electrical work.

Coat with flux only the area you want the solder to adhere to, heat the surface you want to solder, NOT THE SOLDER ITSELF and let the hot surface (joint) melt the solder. Again, don't melt the solder with a flame or an iron, heat whatever it is you intend to solder!!!

Hope that makes some sense for ya!

Last edited by airsteve172; 03-31-2020 at 04:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Big Alice (04-03-2020)