RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pacific Ace 74 inch
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2020, 05:05 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

It is covered!

Still a bit more Monokote work to do yet, But it is covered.

Those elliptical wing tips were pure hell to cover. The bottom not so bad, but the top, holy cow!

And I found a unpleasant mistake with the stab. I cover one side and then worked the other side around it to get a good seal. Then I cot away the kote for the vertical fin and the epoxy glue area to join it to the fuse. I BLOODY REVERED THE BOTTOM AND TOP SIDES!!. Now how the trim in is on the top. I will add a piece of trim to hide it as best as I can. A really stupid mistake. I did not write top and bot on the stab because of the transparent covering, it would have shown. I should have used masking tape to track top and bottom. Better yet I just should have checked before Cut away the kote.

The local hobby shop was open Friday. So I got thin ca and more 1/8 music wire. So the hinges are now glued in. I will bend some new landing gear. Not happy with the looks of what's on there now. I have a bunch of metal cloths hangers. I will use those for templates. The wheel hubs were at some point drilled out to take bolts for aluminum gear. They were radical wobble city on the 1/8" wire. I used 2 sizes of aluminum tube to adapt. One over the axle and then the next size up over that, and then the wheels. Works fine now and a darn site cheaper than buy new wheels.

Need to work on my truck shell now. I can't transport planes with out now. The fiber glass should arrive late this coming week.

Ken