RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dihedral
Thread: Dihedral
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2020, 05:46 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JotaMo
What it would be the effect/result on the airplane performance/flying characteristics of having less dihedral than the original design? The reason of my question is that I am building a 1/4 scale Sig Spacewalker II and I messed up the building of the 2 wing panels center section, and now I realized that I have much less dihedral, maybe 50% less, than what it supposed to have. To replace the center ribs and position them correctly, at this stage, it is impossible. The easiest way to correct my mistake is to make 2 new plywood dihedral braces with less dihedral, but I am not sure what it can happen when flying the plane.
If you have not installed the dihedral braces you still have not joined the wings yet correct? In this case place the wings together supported at each end with the proper dihedral and measure the gap. Make up two balsa ribs a bit oversize a little thicker than 1/2 the gap and glue to the root of each wing panel. Sand flush with sheeting then sand new angle to achieve the proper dihedral angle. You will be fiberglassing the center section anyway.