RCU Forums - View Single Post - T-One Models F22 Raptor build thread
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2020, 03:35 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Went ahead and got the throws and CG for everyone today. These are MY throws not factory recommended throws.

Leading edge .5 inch down. (do not go past this or you may have issues it does not need allot of throw)
Ailerons 1.5 inch up and 2 inch down measured from trailing edge
Flaps 2 inches down measured from trailing edge
Rudders 1.25 inches left and right
Landing rudder .75 inches out (both rudders move out like the real one. Its not needed just looks cool and helps hold the nose up)
Elevator 2 inches up and down measured at front LEADING EDGE
Zero point for elevator is about .25 inches leading edge down measured at leading edge. (up elevator command)
Thrust vectoring 2 inches up and down measured from tip on trailing edge

285mm back from leading edge

Controls...
I have my flaps and leading edge flaps on the same channel. This helps to keep things simple and also wont let you forget to raise the slats up. You cannot fly high speed with slats down.

I don't use any rates and fly it with these throws at all times. I leave thrust vectoring on at all times also. I use about 25% expo on rudder and elevator with only about 15% on the ailerons. This plane can be a little sluggish on the roll command but I like that since it helps with making it look scale. I do not have taileron mixed in but you can if you want.

Thrust vectoring is on all the time and I use full throws all the time. Its mixed with ailerons and elevator commands. Thrust vectoring helps allot with control at slower speeds and is a huge help on takeoff. The main gear on the F22 is pretty far back from the CG. This can make rotation harder. Thrust vectoring helps with this. Also you need to pull her up off the runway. Like and F18 the F22 if you dont pull her up she will just stay on the ground and go a million miles an hour. It takes a little practice but here is how I takeoff.

Line up with runway. Slowly advance throttle and keep nose lined up. Pull full elevator and thrust vectoring early in on the roll. When you see the nose begin to rotate ease pressure on the elevator but keep positive elevator on it. After off the ground hit gear then flaps not to long after. You can hit the flaps in the first turn but I prefer to be going straight when I do the flaps since its easy to spot an issue.

Rudders do have coupling like any twin rudder jet. you can dial that out in the radio if you want or just leave it alone. If you are going to be doing long 4 point rolls it might be best to dial that out some but its pilot preference.

I would only deploy the bomb doors at a slower speed.

High alpha is great on this plane. I drop the flaps and slats (on same switch) and she does great.

Landing... Well it lands very easy not sure what else to say. Aircraft has a huge wing area and lands and flies very light.

I am using the Advanced Radio System from Booma RC supplied by Pacific RC jets. This is a 26 channel receiver along with built in gyro. It can be sued with spektrum futaba Jeti and others. So that being said it gives me the option to have gyro on nose steering. This helps takeoffs and landings look cleaner and smoother but its not needed just a nice touch. I don't have any gyro rates since the AR system does the gyro gain automatically. I simply turn it on and go. I have flown the aircraft some with gyro off and I didn't like it and turned it right back on so cant give much feedback on flying with no gyro.