RCU Forums - View Single Post - Will a DLE 61 with Jtec muffler fit inside a TopFlite?
Old 07-28-2020, 04:35 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyrivet
Lifer,

By choosing the DLE61 over the rear exaust DLE55re for the Spitfire, I almost feel like I'm making more trouble for myself then it's worth for the little extra power.....especially that it will cost me $130 more for that gain. Looking at your photos, I can see the DLE 61 wll likely be TIGHT in the Spitfire and can't be sure tilting the engine will work. I intend to expose the head for cooling, but don't want to cut the cowl sides or have anything proptruding out of the sides.
Perhaps I will try to call Jtec next week and see if they can tell me if they know if their muffler on the DLE61 will fit inside the Topflite Giant Spitfire. I need to make a decision soon before the Tower Hobbies discounts end April 30. (April coupon worth aprox 10%+ off of my final bill)

It's a coinicidence that you are showing me the DLE61 engine in the Tarheel Hal. I still haven't ruled out buying a TopFlite giant P-47 kit from Tower in the next week and my main motive for wanting a DLE61. (I already have the Pica kit 88" Spit kit, but can still elect to build the P-47 instead). I always felt like the Giant P-47 is better suited with a G62........and I suppose the bigger DLE61 will be an equal to the G62 vs the DLE55. In my opinion, the Giant P-47 youtube video flights look slightly anemic with a DLE55 and better with the G62.

Get the 55RA instead!!!
The 61 is just not as good as the 55RA. I used a 55 side exh in the TF P-51 and it was just fine with a wrap around muffler, Jtec or Bisson. The 55RA is a better engine than the 61 and has more grunt than the older 55. If you use that engine in any warbird you should be happy.
One thing I did that really helped was to cross drill the heads of the muffler bolts and safety wire them. I’ve never had a problem since and it really helps on the wrap around Pitts Mufflers.

If you have to have the 61 I have a new one sitting on the bench here I’ll trade you for a new 55RA!