RCU Forums - View Single Post - Updated T-ONE Models 1/8.5 F-16 Build
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2020, 03:10 PM
aehaas

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Updated T-ONE Models 1/8.5 F-16 Build

I purchased the T-ONE MODELS 1/8.5 F-16 some months back and just received it, $1,980.00. I ordered the following upgrades:

Installed lighting kit $190.00
Installed gear/doors and 3 servos $160.00
Wing tip missile set painted $65.00
I ordered the ACCUTORQ 110SG micro premium HV servos at Dirk’s suggestion for all surfaces.
Source: https://pacificrcjets.com/collection...19489290289248
I saw one recently at our club and thought it would be very convenient as it can fit into my Lincoln Navigator fully assembled. It has electric gear, brakes, gear doors and flies well. Another personal goal was to make it lighter and better balanced. Here is an older thread but there have been some updates since then that I will go over as I build the model: The new T1 models F16 build thread

Unpacking the model revealed a well padded and packaged carton. I was impressed with the initial fit and finish and I like the paint job. It is an orange peel. I like it. I have the KingTech K-70G4 in hand already. People have used the K-85 but it seems just too much and heavier unnecessarily. The K-70 will give me a 1:1 power to weight ratio. Clearly a 60N turbine would work if you are not a power nut as so many of us...

I had some correspondence with Dirk at Pacific RC before ordering the model:

“Our Demo F-16 weighs in at 17.29lbs RTF with a K-85, full UAT and 1/4 tank of fuel using Spektrum gear.”

Do the lights and gear controller require a separate 7.4V lipo? I see that others have done it this way. I usually run a 3s LiFe engine battery and two 2s LiFe receiver batteries. It would be nice if the light and gear controller will run off one of the 2s LiFe batteries. Your demo model weighs in at 17.3 lbs - does it have the lights and an extra LiPo battery included there? “The F-16 comes with the Xicoy LG15 controller and the T-One light controller can handle up to a 3S LIFE battery.”

Are the electric brakes proportional? If not, is there a way, a different controller you recommend, to accomplish this? I like to land with the brakes on about half way then go to full braking after I fully touch down. “The LG15 Xicoy controller has proportional braking and has gyro assisted braking and steering and is fully adjustable.”

Is the kevlar fuel cell a single central tank or two side cells? “1 single kevlar fuel tank.”

The K70G2 is 5 oz. less weight than the K85G2. It also burns less fuel. What are your thoughts about using either engine? Maybe I should give you a call on this? “The K70 is plenty of power for the F-16 but most guys want over powered jets. You will find your self flying mostly at half throttle with a K85. If you fly off grass you may want to stay with the K85, if you fly off pavement the 70 is more than enough power.”

Can the lights be put on a separate channel and do the landing gear lights only come on with the gear is down? “Yes, the lights can be put on a switch and the landing light only comes on when the gear are down.”

We had some initial problems: The lighting kit was not installed as ordered nor were the parts included, no lights nor controller. The gear door servos were not installed nor were the servos/hardware included. There was no cockpit. I was told there were some new people at the factory and with the virus maybe things were a little messed up. Dirk offered to have another model made over the next three weeks as a rush job. ‘Not sure I want a rush job. Plus it would be another week for shipping. Then there are the inevitable delays from the Virus and the like. I feared the delays would result in the model being very delayed and the flying season over here before I could test fly the new F-16. (the fall and winter are dry here and the field is often closed for turbine engines because of high fire indexes). Dirk said that the lights are factory installed after the model is complete. I figured that I could do it myself when he sends me the parts, same for the gear door servos - should be easy enough.

So I started the build. I'll get some pictures out when I can.

AEHaas