RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/6 F-105 Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2020, 05:18 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 331 Likes on 218 Posts

Installing tank mount plate

Two layers of velcro strips were glued to the bottom of the plate with thin CA. These strips act as a 2 layer spacer to hold the plate off the fuse bottom and allow the tank strap to slide under the plate. They also act as an epoxy dam to keep epoxy out of the center section of the plate where the strap must slide through.

Plate strapped under the tank for dry fit and making sure the tank would fit in with the velcro strap attached. I had to sand a little clearance on the bottom of the intake holes next to the tank to make it fit. I rehearsed the moves needed to get the tank in and keep the bottom off the fuse floor a few times before I put epoxy on for the tack glue in.

Front view of dry fit

The strap was taped on the tank in position and the plate taped to the tank. A small amount of 15 min. epoxy was applied to velcro strips and the CF plate for tack glue in. I wanted to keep it from touching the center strap and I wanted the epoxy to run down and contact the fuse bottom for a tack glue bond.

Tank inserted and placed in position with a lead weight sock on top to keep it down.

Front view while epoxy curing. It looks crooked in the picture but its really pretty straight.

Side view of tank strap