RCU Forums - View Single Post - Giant Astro Hog Laser Cut Kit - Jerry Bates
Old 09-08-2020, 05:45 PM
erans

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I drilled the landing gear blocks and trial fitted the installation and it is perfect.
Next, I decided to tackle the elephant in the room. The one piece wrapping LE sheeting. I made the mould sheeting quite a while ago, but had no confidence that this will go well.
It turned out that I was correct. While the mould did a reasonably good job, there was no way to adhere the sheet LE to the wing ribs and spruce LE to create a satisfactory gap free bond. As I was approaching the "grab the hammer" stage of building anger, I decided to pull the sheet LE off the wing. No amount of coffee will be enough today...
In a hindsight, the only way I could get it done satisfactory was to make "negative wood piece" to the ribs LE (all the way to where the sheeting go) to hold it in place while the glue dry.

I may upset few people here by saying that while I was originally excited about scratch building a Jerry Bates design, the more I progress into this build I am more and more disappointed. It seems that he went to great length to complicate things. From the foam core vertical fin, the complex bends landing gear, the ailerons servo connections and associated ailerons hinging system and obviously the wing LE design. I will add here the context that I am not claiming to be a scratch-build expert in any way, but suffice to say that I have built my fair share of scratch build R/C aeroplanes over few decades and a quick search on this forum should find few of them. Therefore, I think that I can say that considering the very high quality of the plans, Jerry has gone the extra mile to complicate the construction unnecessarily.

Cheers,
Eran