RCU Forums - View Single Post - Interested in developing two concepts
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2020, 09:50 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by pdouglas
Hello!

I am interested in developing an RC jet that's fully autonomous (from takeoff to landing) and capable of maintaining a cruising speed of 480 miles per hour to a distance greater than 50 miles. The jet should be in full compliance with any FAA regulations regarding airworthiness and it should be fashioned with a transponder that can squawk mode c to flight control towers. I would like the jet to have outstanding video capability and FPV from the cockpit area even at distance.

As far as perimeters go, I would like the jet to be no more than 10 feet in length with a wingspan that's proportionate.

My questions are:
1. Will the FAA allow me to file a flight plan and fly the aircraft accordingly?
2. Can the jet be designed for a budget of $20,000 or less?
3. Would a jet with this type of capacity have a resell value that would exceed the cost to assemble it?

Thanks!
In answer to your questions

1. Extremely unlikely

2. Not a chance. To reach the speeds you're talking about as a sustained cruising speed, carry enough fuel on board, be able to take off and land (in not bungee launch) you will spend that much money on the engine alone. 100lbs thrust on an airframe the size you will need to achieve this wont get you anywhere close to the speed you are looking at.

3. Never in a million years. In this hobby it seems if you get 50 cents on the dollar for popular stuff you're doing well. The market for an autonomous aircraft flying nearly 500mph and requiring special permission from FAA is probably .001% of the hobby.

Development of these kinds of aircraft I would guess is easily in the 100's of thousands of dollars.
The following users liked this post:
rjbob (11-14-2020)