Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Interested in developing two concepts

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Interested in developing two concepts

Old 11-13-2020, 07:42 AM
pdouglas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in developing two concepts

Hello!

I am interested in developing an RC jet that's fully autonomous (from takeoff to landing) and capable of maintaining a cruising speed of 480 miles per hour to a distance greater than 50 miles. The jet should be in full compliance with any FAA regulations regarding airworthiness and it should be fashioned with a transponder that can squawk mode c to flight control towers. I would like the jet to have outstanding video capability and FPV from the cockpit area even at distance.

As far as perimeters go, I would like the jet to be no more than 10 feet in length with a wingspan that's proportionate.

My questions are:
1. Will the FAA allow me to file a flight plan and fly the aircraft accordingly?
2. Can the jet be designed for a budget of $20,000 or less?
3. Would a jet with this type of capacity have a resell value that would exceed the cost to assemble it?

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2020, 07:44 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I sold my Avanti XXL to OSU and they did this, if this for personal fun or business?
Old 11-13-2020, 07:47 AM
pdouglas

mostly personal but hopefully both if I can find a market for them.
Old 11-13-2020, 08:58 AM
sport22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may be a dumb question, but what type of ''engines'' would you use?
Old 11-13-2020, 09:06 AM
pdouglas

I'm still trying to figure that part out as far as the ratios go. I was hoping someone on this site would have some guidance. There are some engines I found that produce over 100 pounds of thrust and higher.. I feel like the air frame is going to have to be built around the engine and electronic components. The engine I'm looking for should keep the aircraft at a stable crusing speed of 480mph +/-

I've seen jets on youtube that appear to run off kerosene or jet a fuel and the fuel is stored inside bladders which are located in the hull and in the wings.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:12 AM
karl hibbs
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this a joke?
The following users liked this post:
rjbob (11-14-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 09:17 AM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Highly doubt the FAA will ever sign off on anything like this for an individual.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:18 AM
pdouglas

No. I will have money to invest in about 36 months. I'm passionate about all things "flight" and ultimately I would love to have a small collection of these types of aircraft. Where I live is very rural and there are many rural airports that have grass runways.

I understand the FAA is working on legislation that will allow enthusiasts safe airspace to fly in, provided we are in full compliance with their rules and regulations. Assuming that happens and I am legally able to fly my jets, I fully expect to do it.

Downrange, it would be interesting developing something that could go beyond the sound barrier.. if it's even possible.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:21 AM
F900
My Feedback: (2)

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by karl hibbs
Is this a joke?
It's probably a young man wanting to learn about aircraft design and aviation... nothing wrong with that we have all been there. Although and I hate to say this without more details you have to be careful these days what information is given, provided it's legit this should through a school with adult/teacher supervision who know what they are doing. 9/11 unfortunately changed aviation.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:29 AM
sport22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have a spare nitro motor, but mainly nitro fuel and a small mix of 120 octane methanol will provide easy homemade jet fuel. slight use of kero would be added lubrication. from what I know those nitro engines of certain .cc's can be converted to run based from low grade jet fuel. 1960's it was done. at that speed so the frame wont warp from speed alone and be light for steady flight it may be constructed from aircraft aluminum. such as t6-6061 billet aluminum. As a manual machinist that whole chassis would set me back at of $200 maybe as high of $300 for the complete chassis with hardware. the nitro motors can be bought for typically less than $200. The receiver would have to comprise itself of long distant transmission frequency waves. Probably a newer style rc controller for $1000 or so dollars could do that. The plane would still need basically the same thing installed to communicate back to the controller. that part can be bought. its similar to a tv controller. sounds like you could use a developer kit with development software to code the hardware for said setup. that would be cheapest and self designed. the speeds I was told was at 320 mph capable of motors converted. - my thought
pdouglas (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 09:33 AM
pdouglas

Thank you!
Old 11-13-2020, 09:50 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by pdouglas
Hello!

I am interested in developing an RC jet that's fully autonomous (from takeoff to landing) and capable of maintaining a cruising speed of 480 miles per hour to a distance greater than 50 miles. The jet should be in full compliance with any FAA regulations regarding airworthiness and it should be fashioned with a transponder that can squawk mode c to flight control towers. I would like the jet to have outstanding video capability and FPV from the cockpit area even at distance.

As far as perimeters go, I would like the jet to be no more than 10 feet in length with a wingspan that's proportionate.

My questions are:
1. Will the FAA allow me to file a flight plan and fly the aircraft accordingly?
3. Would a jet with this type of capacity have a resell value that would exceed the cost to assemble it?

Thanks!
In answer to your questions

1. Extremely unlikely

2. Not a chance. To reach the speeds you're talking about as a sustained cruising speed, carry enough fuel on board, be able to take off and land (in not bungee launch) you will spend that much money on the engine alone. 100lbs thrust on an airframe the size you will need to achieve this wont get you anywhere close to the speed you are looking at.

3. Never in a million years. In this hobby it seems if you get 50 cents on the dollar for popular stuff you're doing well. The market for an autonomous aircraft flying nearly 500mph and requiring special permission from FAA is probably .001% of the hobby.

Development of these kinds of aircraft I would guess is easily in the 100's of thousands of dollars.
rjbob (11-14-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 10:47 AM
FlyJ

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pdouglas
Hello!

My questions are:

Thanks!
As said above:

1- I think this is the most important question, and I'm glad you're here to ask before trying. If you intend to register this as a turbine driven model in the US, you're bound to a max speed of 200mph. Beyond that, you're not permitted to fly out of line of sight with any model. An airplane flying 450mph will do 1 mile every 8 seconds. Trying to follow this in the sky will be extremely challenging. You'll also need to become a waivered turbine pilot to operate this thing. Recently, model aviation has struggled in a battle against the FAA due to the growing popularity of drones. Every accident that occurs, every time one flies too close to the airport, any calamity of any sort means tightened restrictions for us. If you have an accident with this thing, the RC flying community with bear the brunt of the circumstances. If you decide to proceed, please follow all of the rules that we abide by as modelers.

2- No way. Besides the cost, how long would you expect this project to take? Are you the only one working on it? There are a few scratch build threads on these forums that have been in the works for several years!

3- No chance. Models generally sell for ~60% the retail cost. At the end of the day, you're making a toy. Nobody NEEDS a 450mph UAV.
rjbob (11-14-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 11:27 AM
Halcyon66

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

The simple fact your asking how to do this, is the reason you should not be doing it.

You have posted onto a model jet site and basically asked how to make a 450mph cruise missile with a 50 mile range.

This thread should be flagged.

Regards,

Last edited by Halcyon66; 11-13-2020 at 11:35 AM.
rjbob (11-14-2020)