RCU Forums - View Single Post - Freewing Mig 29 EDF to Turbine Conversion
Old 11-17-2020, 04:46 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Flight Reports

The first flight was a little challenging because there was not quite enough down thrust, not enough down trim to compensate at first, and the roll rate was way too high. Rotation was smooth but required a little forward stick to hold proper pitch attitude and then down trim to compensate. From level flight when full thrust was applied the jet would pitch up and climb but it was easily manageable. CG check was good and at lower thrust settings it flew well. I got the flight mode trims set for half flaps and full flaps. Jeti Assist gyro gain was at 40% for all axis when turned on. Gyro helped the jet smooth out a lot in the wind. Speed did not exceed 72mph and final was flown comfortably at 40-45mph. Landing was uneventful. Flight was for 6 minutes and did not use any internal fuel. No video of this one.

For the second flight two washers (2mm) were inserted under the aft turbine mount screws and the aileron rates were reduced. Takeoff rotation was normal and showed no tendency to pitch up. Full thrust did not seem to climb and 5 clicks of the previous nose down trim were removed to maintain level flight hands off. The jet started to feel normal and it became fun. Some slow to fast accelerations were flow and they were almost perfect with just a slight pitch up when thrust applied but mostly just straight ahead. I plan to add another washer of down thrust. Not sure about the speeds because my speed sensor did not log in at startup and I didn't catch it. The jet flies very smooth and was easy to fly and easy to land. This flight was extended to 7 minutes and still did not use any internal fuel.

The third flight was fun but short. Takeoff and climb out was normal and I started to add speed and climbs and rolling maneuvers. My speed warning kept going off telling me I was exceeding 80mph where I had left it from the first flight. I was having too much fun. Then in a pull to vertical with full thrust and rolling I threw out the trapped air bubble and flamed out. I was in a good position for a hi key, low key downwind to base turn with gear down and half flaps. As I rolled out on final the turbine restarted so I just landed and taxied back. I checked the air trap and header tank and they were full. I ran up the power to 100% and then picked up the jet and held it nose up and then nose down and shook it as hard as I could. Turbine ran smoothly. (You can't do that with a 1/5 scale F-16) I like these small jets!

The fourth flight. So with turbine still running, I reset the speed warning to 100mph, reset the timer for 4 minutes, and took off again. This flight got the video. At about 2:00 I did 2 laps in slow flight with half flaps, and full flaps with speed at 40-45. Final was flown at 40-45 and reduced to 35 just prior to touchdown. Worst landing of the day but there is is. I really like the jet and it will fly great when the thrust line is finally dialed in.

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 11-17-2020 at 07:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
raydar (11-17-2020)