RCU Forums - View Single Post - Repaint of FMS 1`500mm P-47 to a 56th FG paint scheme
Old 11-26-2020, 01:03 PM
DaveGee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Repaint of FMS 1500mm P-47 to a 56th FG paint scheme

Hi All: haven't been here for a long time. I recently bought a FMS 1500mm P-47D razorback that I totally repainted to an authentic livery flown by a Lt. Albert Knafelz of the 56th FG out of England in WWII. It was a fun little project, a lot going on with all the colors it had, including full invasion stripes. Flies great, looks great in the air.

higher elevation view of aircraft

Underneath of aircraft. Note that one star and bar is much larger than the other. Many of these airplanes added a larger 55" star and bar on the lower left wing, followed later by one on the other lower wing.

Detail of a 500# bomb with front and rear fuzes and arming wires, which probably aren't really visible in this picture

Another shot of one of the 500# bombs

Closeup of nose art detail. Also the bazooka rocket pods are mounted in this picture. They were used for a short time on ground targets in the summer of 1944 by the 56th FG.

Shot taken from front left.

Some of the detail nomenclature from Callie

Actual aircraft taken in 1944. The plane was heavily battle damaged and crash landed back at base in England. The pilot survived but the plane was a write off and scrapped.

Lt. Albert Knafelz, pilot of the I Wanted Wings aircraft. He finished his combat tour and returned home safely to live a long life in the USA

Side view of aircraft with Heart Mountain near Cody, WY in the background.

frontal view of aircraft with invasion stripes and flaps down

Last edited by DaveGee; 11-26-2020 at 02:17 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
shortround91 (09-23-2023)