RCU Forums - View Single Post - Byron F15c Project
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 05:47 AM
cetigershark

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pull Up Now!
Cetigershark, that's good news you were able to make a printed negative mold. My tank is so odd-shaped that there is no clear parting line and no draft to pop the tank out of the molds. My plan was to destroy the molds to leave the parts, and glue the halves together and wrap the seams later. How many glass layers, and what ounce glass? I was thinking 3 layers of 3 ounce glass, but I've never done this so what's your advise? Here's a pic of the first mold piece. It barely fit on my printer table.
I used 3 ounce glass cloth, I would say 3 layers. Laminating Resin was from R&G Germany. In the corners I put extra triangle cuts of glass to reinforce them. After curing, I applied a light coat of resin with lots of microballons to the inside, just to be sure everything is sealed. Then I unplugged the halves and glued them together after having installed the fuel lines. It clearly wants to implode under vacuum, so it is totally sealed/airtight.

Make sure:
Resin is kerosene proof
corners/edges are a bit reinforced
your last coat to the mould withstands wax/parting agents... I have used 1K filler, and it was not dissolved by the wax. Actually surprising, but I am glad it worked out like that.