RCU Forums - View Single Post - New tanker, looking for advice
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 07:05 PM
RC_BobM

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

jbarnes
Armortek - yeah I've heard of them. LOL. I have 3 of their tanks (Panther A, Tiger 1, and early Sherman) and their PAK40. I've had and sold 2 other tanks (Panther G, Panzer 4) and an US M3 halftrack. Fun stuff - like crack cocaine for tank lovers. Recommend you join Armortek forum if you haven't already. Great bunch of folks all over the world. Good support and great builds.

1/6 Armorteks are fun - but they are big and heavy. Were talking 80- 150lbs. The Sherman is not a huge tank, but at 1/6 scale its 3ft long, the Panther +4 ft long. Get a cheap hydraulic lift and a motorcycle scissor lift - you'll need em to load into vehicles or to work on them (and save your back).

I may get the new AT M4A3E8 due out this spring myself. That's always been my favorite Sherman variant. PS I'll be making accessories for that one as well as all of the above. The AT forum has a great "craftsman's market" section.

There's a lot of good stuff on this forum too. A smattering of 1/6 builders and enthusiasts, but mostly 1/16 scale - which I love too! My first "big RC tank" was a Tamiya Tiger 1.

As for the tracks, don't bother with anodize or blackening. I just paint them. Model Masters "Gun-metal" is perfect base coat color over primer, then weather with rust and dirt color washes. Done. Its a bit of work, but they look awesome. Some of Armortek links are cast aluminum and will come already blackened. You can paint them, or just weather them naturally (with mud).

Cheers.
Bob

Last edited by RC_BobM; 02-12-2021 at 07:21 PM.