RCU Forums - View Single Post - TopRc F4U Corsair assembly
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2021, 09:19 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

@LTMash,
I’ve flown the Saito 84 in the TF Corsair, a DLE 61 is it now, and the 60 in the Hellcat, a large scale Mr Mulligan with the 90 and none of them had baffles. They run just fine as long as you know the idle temps and the temps when you land and taxi back. The big thing is not over revving them so be sure to prop your engine on the higher side to reduce peak rpm in flight. I have RPM Telemetry and listen to the rpms as I fly through maneuvers. I tune for about 6500rpm max and it will vary between 6500-7000 as you fly. On any given day the weather will also come into play so watch temps and RPM as things change with density altitude. If I know the DAlt will be higher than 4500 feet I don’t fly or I might change the prop to get more bite in thinner air but keep the rpms under 7000.
I check with the airport, just call the tower phone number and they read out the conditions. We’re at 2240 feet ASL and can see DAlt over 6000 feet, bad day to fly. So I usually run one inch larger props or more pitch depending on the engine and plane.
You could easily put in temp telemetry also if you’re that concerned with the installation.
I run Klotz oil exclusively with NON-Ethanol unleaded gas, gap the spark plugs as recommended, and I use Xoar props on all three radials. I’ve run other props, carbon, Mejzlik, Beila, 2 and 3 blade but the Xoar blades have a better profile and the engines perform very well from my testing.

Ive done very detailed baffling on tight cowl 2 stroke installations with great results but so far the Saito radials have not required it. Just keep the cowl airflow nice and open.
Also note that depending on how you mounted the cowl a baffle around radial could get in the way of the cowl hardware if it’s on the inside behind the baffle. Just think ahead about the cowl mounts, hardware and the orientation of the engine to the hardware.

That Corsair looks the business I have to say, enjoy it!

Also, I see you’re running, or going to run, that scale-ish 3 blade prop. I had a bad experience with that same type of prop because it didn’t load up the engine right. It should be a 23 inch prop with about 10 inches of pitch. I typically fly a 24x10 or 12 two blade Xoar. Not sure of the specs on yours but it might tach and sound fine on the ground but in the air it will be different. I had to run the power at a higher than usual setting on final to keep the prop and engine loaded with full flaps. I recommend you fly a two blade prop first then try the three blade once you’re familiar with the Saito. If you know the engine and set up then disregard.

Last edited by Chris Nicastro; 03-27-2021 at 09:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LtMash1A (03-28-2021)