RCU Forums - View Single Post - F-16XL ARF by Global Knight Models from Global Jet Club
Old 04-03-2021, 05:52 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Installing tank mount

I always drill drain holes anywhere in the jet that can trap leaking fuel or oil. Don't ask how I learned to do this.

Front hole

View from bottom

Scuff sanded inside the fuse where mount will sit

Scuff sanded bottom of tank mount

Wrapped a strip of plastic around tank strap to act as a release film so any epoxy that squeezed out and touched strap would not glue it in under the mount.

Applied tape loop strips to mount to hold in place on tank

Centered mount on bottom of tank and stuck it on with the tape strips

Wrapped strap around tank with plastic centered on mount and strap centered in the slot

Applied a thick layer of epoxy on front and rear sections of mount

Pressed tank into position centered and level with the top of the servo just behind the tank

Six hours later, Presto! Strap pulled out with no issues.

Tank mount done. In the final install I will put a piece of 1/8" craft foam I stole from my wife's craft supplies between the mount and the tank to give a little padding and vibration/shock insulation.

Was about ready to buy a pilot and I remembered this Tbird pilot I had for a project 20 years ago. I bought 2 at the time and this one is still in the box. Looks like this jet will have a red Tbird pilot.

Found missing part of the HUD that was broken in shipping. It was stuck in the nose gear well and fell out when I took out the nose gear.

This is the last work on the jet for a week. I have to pay some RC dues with a spring break trip with wife and grandkids. Hope to collect some needed parts while gone for the week. To be continued...

Gary