RCU Forums - View Single Post - Heart transplant for an old warrior.
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2021, 07:55 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by tankme
I wish that applied to my ex-wives...LOL Anyway, nice start. Been wanting to see your gearboxes in action in person for a while. I bought a used Sherman with them, but it was in such sad shape (not the gearboxes) that it's taking a while to get it healthy enough to run again.
Fortunately I don't have any of those 'ex' things.

Just so you know, the main frame is the same for all tanks, it's the mounts and final drive shafts that are different albeit with two different gear reduction ratios, the ratios are to keep the different tanks at roughly 'scale' speed on road, that and on Panther two of the final drive shaft gears are modified slightly. There is precious little room in the nose of a Panther, don't matter if it's D, A or G. The only fly in that statement, and you can verify by looking at your Sherman, is there was 2 design changes years ago to make the main frame universal. First, look at the three final drive shaft uprights.If all three are the same, it will fit anything but Panther and Tiger E. If one of the uprights is noticeably different, they are universal except for the Panther gear mod, which Daryl can do if needed.

Daryl is also in process of receiving various 'kits', this to simplify the glacial shipping. He gets the TU's as a main frame with everything but mounts and final drive shafts. The kits include everything needed for a particular tank, mounts to the hull, all needed shaft and mount spacers and attaching hardware, and for Panther the kit includes the modified gears.