RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tamyia M51 Super Sherman the right way, with a cast hull
Old 06-13-2021, 07:23 AM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Ok well i would not cut the fenders off the tamiya kit hull and glue them to the nick hull.
The Nick A1 cast hull is not perfectly straight down the sides, its a cast hull so the sides of it bow in and out gently, enough to cause issues mounting fenders. These are fenders. Remember side skirts are like sand shields and cover the rollers and track.

So the first thing I did was decide to create a shelf sticking out from the tank hull to glue more styrene to, to create the fenders. I used .040 sheet styrene from a window sign that was in a business but the sheet is available from evergreen. Since it is .040 thick I had cut that thickness of the bottom of each side of the hull. Now, I have not covered to this point step by step how I make things fit up to each other but to make the hull fit on the tamiya chassis I had to set it on top of the chassis and mark the bottom edge of the hull and grind away some material so the hull could sit down on the chassis with the side sponsons of the aluminum chassis to be inside the hull not below it. If you understand what I mean.
Well that leaves a strip of material on the sides of the hull, outside of the aluminum, so that thickness had to be removed so that when you look straight on the side, you would see the aluminum top edge of the chassis. I did this the whole length of the embosses strip on the side of the hull and then up around the front, but not the rear, I stopped at the embossment strip end. Then I scraped the embossed strip off with an exacto blade edge, do it however you want but the embosses strip has to go. Then you glue the styrene strip to the bottom of the hull with the hull upside down with the chassis sitting on it and no tracks so you can see it all. I think my base strip was .400 wide.
I then made up my front section, longer in the forward part past the line so that the fender curve can be glued to it.
Then to get the right width for the final side fender I used the two strips of material shown. they are both ,030 but the C channel is thicker. First I gently remove the one side of the C channel so its a short leg L shape and I glue a tiny strip of .030 and the L strip to the hull up to the line on the forward section.
After the strip and L sections dried I smeared body putty the length into the gap between them and the hull and to bring the small strip up to the L strip flush.

This is the extra strip I cut off the rear of the tank after it was glued and dry,

You got me there Rich yep fenders not skirts .
Thanks
Jimmy