RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sukhoi Su-17 M4 "Fitter", 1/6 Scale Project
Old 06-16-2021, 03:36 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

Onto the Htails. Many Soviet aircraft have stabilators that have a SWEPT pivot axis. I just kinda assumed it was because you can cram the actuation hardware beneath the fuselage skin better, but now I suspect it is an attempt at moving the Htail pivot axis closer or aft of the aerodynamic center of the stabilator, hence a better chance at mass balancing the stabilator. If so, pretty clever, but it sure does make plug-in Htails more difficult. Mine will be removable if you have to, but for now I'm not designing that in as feature to make life easier... This is a prototype, and I'd rather save the weight.

So pics show the basic buildup of the Htail (screenshot), and the buildup process.

Screenshot of the Htail assembly.

Vac bagging the Htail skins. Initially I tried using the method shown with yellow "dum-dum" tape sealant and single layer vacuum plastic sheet, but I could not keep good vacuum. After making the first 6-7 parts, I switched to using full bags going around the entire mold. Much easier to seal.

Trial fitting internal structure onto laid up and trimmed skins. You can see the first 2/3 of the skin with CF cloth... The part yielded a pretty stiff part in the end. I think I can remove some weight in future layups.

Parts eventually primed, then thrown onto the parts rack - move onto the next subassembly. More laser cut structure in waiting...

Last edited by Ron S; 06-16-2021 at 03:37 PM. Reason: added a word
The following users liked this post:
grbaker (06-18-2021)