RCU Forums - View Single Post - Beginner's kit
Thread: Beginner's kit
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2021, 12:01 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I have 2 of these kits sitting on a shelf and one I currently fly. (Seniorita)
I agree with the consensus that a SIG Kadet is a winner. A Seniorita is a smaller version of the "pick up truck bed" sized Senior model that packs on more weight.
It's easy to build.
It's easy to train on.
After you're a capable pilot, it is relaxing and enjoyable to fly, taking dihedral out of the wing, adding or having aileron control to start with.
The landing speed is very slow and gentle, so your anxiety level is low.
Take off distance is often less than 20-30 feet? Something like that.
I have a Magnum .52 4 stroke on mine currently, but the fuselage is so roomy and versatile, electric power would be a very simple conversion. Seniorita for electric is smart.
While these do not include a radio, you can pick one up (I suggest used since these are so inexpensive that way and last decades) in the classifieds easily and keep you on budget. Some Chinese radios on 2.4 Ghz can be had for $50 shipped off Feebay, but you don't need to jump on this radio thing right away, until you complete your build. You should focus on building materials necessary to complete the kit. Monokote iron, 3 rolls of Monokote, hardware, hinge material for control surfaces, wheels, wheel collars, Xacto knife, sandpaper, CA glue and other adhesives, patience, building board, patience, motivation to finish....start a build thread, get coaching through the process. It's not a weekend project, it will take time.

As far as low budget to get a kit, I'm doing it wrong these days, I buy one at a time, market value. If you look and are patient, check Craigslist or Fakebook in your area, some people get out of the hobby, and that's truly the best source to get started from a financial standpoint.

Last edited by J330; 06-18-2021 at 12:03 PM.