Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Beginner's kit

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginner's kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 07:44 AM
tampico0302

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner's kit

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a beginner's kit of Trainers RC airplane I could buy, mount and fly. I thought it would be better if I first ask for some advice and some websites I could get such kits.
Since I have limited financial resources, I don't want to get the wrong items the first time.
All advice is welcome so, please, bombard me with information.
Thank you in advance and have a great day/evening/night.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:36 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

You say you're looking for a beginner's kit. Does this mean you want a plane to build from sticks up, a plane that you assemble finished pieces into a flying plane or a plane that's built and just requires putting in the radio gear, batteries and mounting the wing? All of these could be considered beginner type planes.
Next question, electric or nitro fuel powered?
Old 06-15-2021, 05:04 PM
tampico0302

Hi,
thanks for your response.
I mean a plane to build from sticks up (option 1) and for the second question: electric powered.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:38 PM
Hydro Junkie

How about something like this:

It can be powered by nitro and gas fueled engines as well as an electric motor, can be built with ailerons or without, taildragger or tricycle landing gear, flaps or not. Lots of options if that works for you. There are also a smaller version as well as a version that has hard sides. All can be seen at https://sigmfg.com/collections/sig-kits

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 06-15-2021 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:27 AM
tampico0302

Yes, I'm interested. Thank you very much.I'm trying to gather as much information and advice as possible before I start.Are there kits where the radio and the motor are included?
Old 06-16-2021, 05:25 AM
Hydro Junkie

Not that start with sticks and plans as far as I know. Here's someplace to look at some of the radios that are available:
Aircraft Radios | Tower Hobbies
If you have a dollar figure you don't want to exceed or a brand you would prefer, you can click on the applicable link(s) on the left side to narrow down your options a bit.
As far as battery packs, speed controllers and motors, I'm not up on those as I have nitro and gas powered boats and planes. I'm sure there are others in the forum that can help you out with those. A couple of words of caution. I know cost is an issue but don't let it be the deciding factor in what you go with. As with most things you can buy, most times cheap in price will also be cheap in quality. As far as radio gear goes, if you plan on staying in the hobby, you would be better served by spending a bit more on your radio gear so it will be usable for more than one plane and have enough channels for the features you see yourself using on later planes. For example, if you decide to build a plane with flaps and retractable landing gear, you will need a radio with at least 6 to 8 channels to make everything work. Another example would be to add ailerons to your trainer and a bomb bay door for dropping candy over kids at a party or event. Believe it or not, people do build planes with a bomb bay door for that very purpose. Just something to think about
Old 06-17-2021, 04:02 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

The Kadet is a wonderful airplane no doubt. Literally tens of thousands built and flown by guys will all levels of experience. Unfortunately it may be a bit much for a first time builder to convert to electric power. Not only must he figure out the correct motor/ESC but he will need to modify the fuselage to have a battery access hatch and cooling air intake and exit. I know that Sig has plans to update many kits to be built as IC or electric power but I don't think this has been done yet. A call to Sig would clairify that. Perhaps better to search out an airplane kit that is already set up for electric power then to attempt kit modifications on a first build.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:39 PM
Hydro Junkie

Okay, show us a trainer KIT, AND NOT AN ARF, that is designed for electric power.
Years ago, I bought a Goldberg Electra motor glider kit. When I inquired about what motor to use, instead of the big brushed 550 can motor that it came with, I was told to buy a motor that equaled 100 watts per pound of weight. Since a nitro powered Kadet Sr is a 6 lb plane, a 650-700 watt motor would work. If he doesn't want to go that powerful, a Kadet Seniorita is only 3.5 lbs so a 400 watt motor would work. Want to go right into the middle, the Kadet MKII is right at 5 lbs so a 500-550 watt motor would work. One of the recommendations I got was to use the following, based on an all up weight of 48 ounces, the listed weight of an Electra:
Rimfire .15
35 amp ESC with BEC
a 10X5 folding prop
a 3S 2,800 lipo pack
Those recommendations would work fine for a Seniorita. Throw in an 11X6 prop to match the size of an equivalent nitro motor and you would be good to go
Old 06-17-2021, 08:38 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

As noted, there really isn't an everything combination kit to build, with all components and radio.

I'll throw out one suggestion - look at a Sig LT-40 kit. As supplied, it is for glow engines. BUT, SIG sells an Almost-Ready-To-Fly version that is capable of glow OR electric The modifications are minor. Download the instructions for each, and note how little additional needs to be customized on the kit, using the information from the ARF instructions for the electric version. You will have a complete list of the additional components needed to convert the kit to electric AND an excellent "how-to" for installing them. The kit does not have a cowl, so would need a small bit of change to make sure the motor is mounted to have the prop clear the sides like the glow version does. At worst, some added glued in plywood squares to "shim" the motor forward, with four longer bolts back through the firewall to hold it all firmly together. That's all. Then you have the experience of both building a very well documented kit AND customizing it a little to suit your preferences.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:05 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Amazon Amazon

If this link works here is a kit built plane claiming to be a trainer that is designed for electric power. It comes with the motor, ESC, and prop. About the only negative I see is the built up stick construction of the fuselage may not be all that durable compared to the slab sided construction of trainers like the PT-40 .
Old 06-18-2021, 05:41 AM
Hydro Junkie

Looks "toy grade" to me. The description says "This wooden airplane model is made of high-quality bals wood materials, which are very lightweight and high tenacity". How can balsa have "tenacity"? It then goes on to say "Each part is cut by high-precision equipment, with high quality and a high-precision guarantee, ensuring that the aircraft parts fit well and easy to pick out the parts". That, and the pictures, tell me that it's got die crushed parts. How good can it be with a price of $110, including the motor, ESC and two servos? If Tampico wants to buy one, that's his choice. For $20 less, I could buy a MkII with a foot longer wing that is a much better design, 14 more inches in length making it easier to see and has roughly four times the weight. Granted, I would still need to get all of the electronics but I would have the option of how much quality and cost I would be looking at
Old 06-18-2021, 06:44 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I just figured since the op specifically mentioned "limited financial resources" something like what I posted would come closer to what he's looking for than a "not toy grade" build for his first attempt.

As to the poor phrasing of the manufacturer's description; how many other Chinese made products suffer from such clumsy translation? so many that such poor translation even has it's own name;"Chinglish", and I try not to judge products based on such language barriers. I especially liked "It could be a creative festival gift for your lover" , which sounds to me like a poor attempt at "It could be a great special occasion present for your spouse" , laughable for sure but doesn't speak much to it's quality(or lack thereof)
Old 06-18-2021, 09:36 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The Sig Seniorita is a smaller and cheaper option. Plenty of those have been built for electric power, so there are more than enough threads and tutorials out there for what changes need to be made.
Old 06-18-2021, 12:01 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I have 2 of these kits sitting on a shelf and one I currently fly. (Seniorita)
I agree with the consensus that a SIG Kadet is a winner. A Seniorita is a smaller version of the "pick up truck bed" sized Senior model that packs on more weight.
It's easy to build.
It's easy to train on.
After you're a capable pilot, it is relaxing and enjoyable to fly, taking dihedral out of the wing, adding or having aileron control to start with.
The landing speed is very slow and gentle, so your anxiety level is low.
Take off distance is often less than 20-30 feet? Something like that.
I have a Magnum .52 4 stroke on mine currently, but the fuselage is so roomy and versatile, electric power would be a very simple conversion. Seniorita for electric is smart.
While these do not include a radio, you can pick one up (I suggest used since these are so inexpensive that way and last decades) in the classifieds easily and keep you on budget. Some Chinese radios on 2.4 Ghz can be had for $50 shipped off Feebay, but you don't need to jump on this radio thing right away, until you complete your build. You should focus on building materials necessary to complete the kit. Monokote iron, 3 rolls of Monokote, hardware, hinge material for control surfaces, wheels, wheel collars, Xacto knife, sandpaper, CA glue and other adhesives, patience, building board, patience, motivation to finish....start a build thread, get coaching through the process. It's not a weekend project, it will take time.

As far as low budget to get a kit, I'm doing it wrong these days, I buy one at a time, market value. If you look and are patient, check Craigslist or Fakebook in your area, some people get out of the hobby, and that's truly the best source to get started from a financial standpoint.

Last edited by J330; 06-18-2021 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:37 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by init4fun
I just figured since the op specifically mentioned "limited financial resources" something like what I posted would come closer to what he's looking for than a "not toy grade" build for his first attempt.

As to the poor phrasing of the manufacturer's description; how many other Chinese made products suffer from such clumsy translation? so many that such poor translation even has it's own name;"Chinglish", and I try not to judge products based on such language barriers. I especially liked "It could be a creative festival gift for your lover" , which sounds to me like a poor attempt at "It could be a great special occasion present for your spouse" , laughable for sure but doesn't speak much to it's quality(or lack thereof)
I got where you were coming from, just figured I would put out my .02 on it. I don't want to tell someone to buy something that I wouldn't actually buy myself.
Originally Posted by jester_s1
The Sig Seniorita is a smaller and cheaper option. Plenty of those have been built for electric power, so there are more than enough threads and tutorials out there for what changes need to be made.
I used the MkII in my last post because it was the closest to that Chinese plane on Amazon in size as well as the lowest priced of the Kadets. It's also the easiest to build, being slab sided. Not knocking the Senior/Seniorita in the slightest, both being planes with great reputations, easily modified and trusted designs. Hard to ask more than that from any trainer.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:24 AM
speedracerntrixie

Carolina custom kits does a nice laser cut 54" Telemaster kit ( other sizes too ) specifically for electric power. They furnish a list of all nessesary hardware and power package.

Hydro. Just to point out how confusing electrics can be. In your example you state that for the Kadet you would need around 500 watts of power output. However a 35 amp ESC powered with a 3S battery is only going to deliver just under 400 watts. Your example of motor, battery and prop would require a 50 amp ESC. Not picking on you just showing how difficult it would be for a beginner with zero experience to do a conversion from glow to electric.

Jester makes a good comment about there being many threads on electric conversions, however how does a beginner know where to look? How does he know what thread has good information? I think we can be a bit more helpful, maybe posting up links to these build threads?

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 06-19-2021 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Forgot to add photo.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:03 AM
Hydro Junkie

My example was based on information I was given to power a Goldberg Electra. I didn't change anything other than the aircraft's listed weight and adjusted the wattage of the motors to match so, for me, it was trying to keep it simple. I had assumed that we would be getting into the rest of the components needed later as they became needed and, at that point, those more in the know could chime in. If you go back and look, I listed the electronics given for a 48 ounce aircraft, that being the list weight of the Electra, which is SIMILAR to the weight of a Seniorita
Old 07-23-2021, 03:38 PM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would be looking at size, materials, form and shape, dimensions, flight characteristics, type if engine (or no engine), landing gear style or none. I personally would start with a simulator. There are reams and reams of recommendations. Good luck. There are MANY directions
Old 07-27-2021, 12:07 PM
PopeyeCharlotte

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone who said "Sig Kit" is right. Great kits, good quality instructions. (I do not have experience with Carolina Customs, so I can't provide input. Sig is nice because their instructions not only tell you how to build the specific airplane, they also provide building tips for rookies.)

Are you ready to build? Spend considerable time in the basement, get CA all over your fingers, sand, sand, and sand some more? If yes, then go with Sig.

If no, well, maybe ARF - and if you go that route my suggestion is go foamie for a trainer. (I'm a balsa guy, but fully respect and appreciate the simplicity and ruggedness of foamies.)

My 2 cents.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:51 AM
speedracerntrixie

Sig is also in the process of updating their kits. Going to laser cutting and making them glow and electric. A call to Sig to see when the newer version of a specific kit will be available would be advised. Not that there is anything wrong with the original kits, they just require some engineering work, and a bit overbuilt if going to convert to electric power.