RCU Forums - View Single Post - Open discussion on IR battling
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2021, 08:06 AM
1qaz

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Very interesting thread, lots of interesting input. I'll put in my 2 cents worth as a newbie IR tank guy. Many years ago I stumbled across the Danville Tank Museum hosting IR tank battles and being a hard core R/C airplane guy it sounded interesting. As a kid back in the late 60's and 70's I was an avid plastic modeler and to this day still really enjoy building plastic kits. I found the group at Danville a super friendly bunch and very welcoming to both myself & my wife after our first visit. We ended up buying a Tamiya 1/16 Sherman just so we could try out the IR tank world. Now 6 or 7 years later I have 6 1/16 tank models built and a Tamiya Tiger II still in the box.
I still really enjoy attending Danville to see what new models have been built, and to "talk shop" with the modelers but I usually don't even get involved in the actual battles. I find them very unrealistic and the really good tankers seem to have found every conceivable way to beat the system.
I remember several years ago the event had so many new tankers that the club actually took the time to have a "class" for us newbies on how to be successful out on the battle field which included all the quirks in the system and how to beat them.
I have no idea on how to make the battles more fun, that is a tough problem! Until then I just enjoy the good company at Danville and continue to enjoy building the models.