RCU Forums - View Single Post - Newbie Boat Build
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2021, 12:18 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm glad that made sense and didn't come across as condescending. Many first timers come into the forum with preconceived ideas on how things should be and, if they are told otherwise, they leave. Some of the time it's due to the way the person answering the question comes across, others because they think what they see on the internet or that what they think they know from other areas of the R/C world is all they need to know . I've been in the R/C community for almost 40 years and will be the first to say I don't know everything. With that all said, I'm going to be limited on how much I can help you. I work primarily with plywood hydroplane hulls I build from plans so I deal with a whole different animal. I do know that others will probably chime in as well and some are well versed in vee hulls and/or outboards
Enough on all of that. I think you will find that boats have more in common with planes than with cars or buggies. Like a plane, the boat requires balancing as mentioned earlier. This is the first spot I am limited on. As I said in a previous post, you will want to have the boat balance at roughly 9-10" forward of the transom. I know the boat also needs to be balanced left to right to prevent excessive rolling. You want the boat to roll in while turning toward the direction of the turn but not when going straight. With an inboard boat, you can adjust the weight to one side or the other where you locate the radio gear and water resistant box it's mounted in, the fuel tank, etc. Not sure how to do this with an outboard motor.
You were wondering about strengthening the hull with FG. Not sure it's going to need that but what you might want to look at is adding internal framing such as what I use in my hydroplanes.

The following users liked this post:
Geakster (09-20-2021)