RCU Forums - View Single Post - Servicing unused diesels
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2021, 04:51 AM
Stuntguy13

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by serendpt
Several years ago I had bought a few Sharma diesels (1.5cc and 3.2cc) just for the heck of it. I didn't think I'd be able to get them to run as we don't have access to model diesel fuel or the raw materials to make my own. Now that I've found a local source for ether based starting fuel I'm thinking of getting these babies going. Unfortunately I didn't store them properly and they appear to be seized. Any suggestions on how I should go about un-seizing them and getting them ready to try and start?
S,
What has worked for me is to first clean them off with a solvent, then give a dose of something like WD40, let it sit a while. Put a big prop on it, take a heat gun and slowly heat the case then the upper cylinder (wear gloves). Gently start to turn the prop, don't force it, Keep heating and twisting, get the heat to all parts of the engine. It will after 20 mins or so of heating start to move then will get loser. If this fails you can do the crochet pot / antifreeze soak for a few days then do the heat again.

Best, DennisT
The following users liked this post:
serendpt (10-03-2021)