RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lanier Extra 300s 1/4 scale kit
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2021, 06:31 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnFH
No problem

The primary issue is this is a 20-30? year old design and I don’t want to drive myself crazy trying to modify the kit to meet modern standards.

It will never match the performance of the current offerings and that’s ok. I have done what I can to affordably reduce the weight, if on average these things were finished out near 13-14 pounds, if bring it in at 11.5 that’s not too bad. I don’t compete, I really just want a finished airplane that flies decent.
I have had 3 rounds of cancer trying to finish this, making it to maiden flight would be a huge accomplishment.

There is still a Great Planes 33% 330L I need to build…..
I also applaud you on beating the cancer!

My whole concept for a lighter build doesn’t mean cost more, in fact it is just the opposite, if you build an extremely light airframe by simply removing all the excess wood you can use a smaller and lighter engine or electric motor, smaller batteries, smaller fuel tanks, lighter landing gear, wheels and so forth.

In many cases smaller is more cost effective, our model airframes of the past were so overbuilt causing the use of more expensive larger power plants and equipment while all the while making our airplanes fly like aerodynamic cinder blocks, and it just doesn’t need to be.

Just remember the heavier the airframe, the stronger and heavier it needs to be built to support itself in the first place, it’s a viscous cycle.

Bob