RCU Forums - View Single Post - Painted wing, stabs and advanced graphics
Old 11-27-2021, 07:35 PM
kregan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Portlandflyer
Bill

I don't have a lot for you. It's been many years sense I used the carbon matt. My guess is the buckling (warping) was due to the water base poly. I had it happen on ailerons and a bit on thin wings. The way I stopped it was to put a coat of poly on both sides of the surface and put some weight on them for a few hours. In fact, that's the reason I moved over to bedding the silkspan with lacquer. Once I started doing that I eliminated the warping issues.

From what I can recall, I do remember a bit of the delaminating of the carbon matt, but nothing significant.
Portland flyer, first let me thank you for the wonderful thread. I have had this printed out since last year and just started working on a set of wings using your guidance but I just noticed this reply above... Are you saying you no longer use the poly at all?

I just applied the silkspan with poly not more than an hour ago, LOL. It sounds like you are laying the the silkspan in a clear lacquer directly on the balsa with no sealer applied first?

Can you briefly outline the steps you now use?