RCU Forums - View Single Post - JP gear controller troubleshooting
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2021, 07:12 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

You are right about the magnet removal. But I got over 200 flights before the pads wore down. My Prolinks in the Ultra Flash had the same style brake, but w/o the magnets. They wore out with ~180 flights. This style of brake is apparently just prone to wearing out!

There is a different version of JP brakes/wheels available. It does not have the Disks. In this new version, there are no brake parts that actually contact each other to provide the braking. I have a set on now and they work great.! I did have to increase the power in the LGC15 to the brake a bit (70% to 95%) but they work great. This new set requires a new Axle, Hub and Wheel. But it all comes together with a tire too. Had to clean up the axles' threads with an 8mm die to get them to thread into the strut. Also had to notch the thread in the axle for the set screw. It was a real PITA getting them apart to get the die on the axle. The thread locker they use is a bit on the extreme side. Too bad they can't seem to cut a quality thread.

I also recently order a Rebel Classic with Electrons. I have a new LGC 15 sitting on the bench waiting for that plane. The OEM's gear package came with the RB45. For some reason, I apparently could not convince CARF to substitute the RB45 for a GS200 even if I paid the difference. :-(

Thought I would give Electrons a try. Lots of people swear by them! Electrons do look more robust. But, the JP gear looks "less intrusive/more refined" to me. Also, the JP's use bearings and the Electrons are still rolling on bushings. No matter what you do there always seems to be a compromise.