RCU Forums - View Single Post - What Paint Systems are You Currently Using?
Old 12-25-2021, 10:56 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Shawn's paint method. Sandpaper is your friend! BUT 800 grit is a bit fine for a final sanding of your primer. The color needs some "tooth" to bite into. I personally never go beyond 400. I've know some go 600 but IMO I think that is pushing the limit.

I've used lacquer, (primer and color) acrylic craft, and various rattle can brands for color. All followed by a 2K automotive clear with good success. "small" quantities seems to be an issue for us modelers. For color, acrylic craft paints, especially yellow and red, do not seem to cover well. But then any yellow or red do not cover well. I will be trying some artist acrylic next time out. They are usually richer in pigment and are water based so cleanup is easy. They are very thick so thinning will be very necessary.

I've heard of using lacquer to attach glass cloth but never adding talc to it. Talc is IMO heavy. I would skip the sanding sealer and go strait to your primer and follow the advice from Shawn. For me I bear in mind to use the absolute minimum to do the job. Sand off almost all the primer, spray color just enough to reach full saturation and clear only enough to seal the color. Paint can be just as light as plastic coat. It just takes a bit more effort.

Ken