RCU Forums - View Single Post - Introducing myself...
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2021, 02:34 AM
1967brutus

Received 75 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrider6
I am interested in this topic, and would like to see the discussion grow and stay alive.

Here is my issue: I am thinking of scratch building a Goldberg Ultimate biplane. I have considered powering it with a DLE-20 gasoline engine, as that has been done before. However, that engine seems to be a good bit more than this plane needs, which flies great on a 4-cycle 120 glow engine. I would have to make a taller landing gear to accommodate the larger prop that would get the most out of the DLE. Plus, that engine is quite loud, and requires either an expensive aftermarket quiet(er) muffler, or a DIY one.

In summary, I would love to see a 15-18cc (guessing on the displacement) gasoline engine that swings a 14-15" prop and has very comparable power and weight (or lighter) than a 120 4-cycle. In other words, something like a slightly smaller version of a DLE-20.

Do you think an existing model glow engine could be converted to accomplish this, or perhaps an existing 2-cycle gasoline engine from some piece of power equipment?
Assuming that the plane has sufficient power with that 1.20 fourstroke to not need full power all the time, you would be looking at something like a 1.50 fourstroke to convert. Saito has a 1.50 that lends itself very good for conversion, and you will be amazed how userfriendly that engine will become.
ASP, OS, Magnum, they all can be converted just as well, but Saito have the best cooling properties with their cylinder/head in one single casting.

I have done one for a customer, runs pretty good.
Care and attention must be given to proper cooling air ducting ("Baffling"), and fuel plumbing is slightly different than for glow fuel, but nothing "black magic".
I would definitely go for the fourstroke approach because for 2-stroke, this particular power range is a bit of a black hole: not many options between 15 and 20 cc.
But IF you do, I would suggest getting a .91 heli engine, the heatsink head will solve many cooling issues.

Feel free to ask any and all questions, I have no secrets and sharing info is the name of the game.

Last edited by 1967brutus; 12-31-2021 at 02:38 AM.