RCU Forums - View Single Post - JP gear controller troubleshooting
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2022, 06:21 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Some of the cheaper gear operators have the current limiters in the operator (e.g. Eflite, Freewing, etc.). That is how they operate w/o a separate controller. The gear that comes with a controller usually has the current limiters in the controller. If you operate gear that requires a controller w/o the controller, the motor can be instantly damaged when it hits its mechanical stops. Unfortunately, the controllers that typically come with gear have been programmed so its current limiters are set correctly but not adjustable. As the gear wears or gets dirty there is no option in the JP controllers, that I have been provided with gear, to bump up the current limits or change any other parameter (e.g. delays, etc.). That is what got me down the Xicoy path. I have had a LGC12, LGC13 and several LCG15s. I ended up giving the 12 and 13 away because neither has all the features that the 15 has. Using the 15, I am finally able to get the delays I want and the current limits I need for my planes' gear. Also, with the 15's gyro operated steering and braking, I was finally able to get the "brake dancing" eliminated on my UltraFlash. Electron's GS200 is basically a LGC 15 but locked to Electron's gear. You can get a 15 from Pacific RC Jets that is unlocked. However, you then have to figure out the right current limit, which is fairly easy on the bench. If you figure the 15 out on the bench and then make the minor adjustment at the field to perfect its operation, you wind up with an excellent controller that will do exactly what you need and want. Bottom Line in gear controllers: You get what you are willing pay for. IMHO: There is no excuse for not having a gear controller that you are happy with in what is at least a $5K investment!