RCU Forums - View Single Post - ME 109 Scratch Build from Midwest Plans
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2022, 11:49 PM
Hye Flyer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I used a Dremel and a ‘router table’ for the Dremel on my bench to cut the 1/8” grove in the 3/4 formed leading edge… will do similar to the trailing (or I may just cut the notches off the back and butt-glue them as David2011 suggested.

The good news is today my laser cutter arrived. After a quick assembly, I managed to cut a single rib and matched it up to the scaled pdf and it seems a great match. Much better since i redrew everything vs trying to trace… turns out the images on the plans needed to be blown up to scale, and that caused exaggerations in the imperfections of the original drawings on the full size plans…i.e. shows the ribs on frame that says its supposed to be 3” long and 13” wide x 1/16” balsa… at first, i simply enlarged the image until it measured 3” when printed out on my printer… but it was cockeyed and not symmetrical as it should have been… cutting the ribs by hand using those images as a glue on templates further exasperated the defects. So thats why i had to redraw them all vs using tracing. After printing my first rib, i am more than HAPPY. They came out perfect even if they are not exact to the original - whatever that is because I never had the originals to compare. I cannot wait until my balsa wood order arrives so I can print out all the ribs..