RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/8 scale hydro to electric conversion help
Old 04-01-2022, 06:07 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Had to call in some re-enforcement on this one since I only had a rough idea. What I was told is this:
  • If you can't hold the motor by the end caps without burning your fingers, it's too hot. Now then, let's get to the details
  • Using a infra-red temp gun, your battery packs, ESC and motor(checked on the ends, not the cooling jacket) should be no warmer than 140 degrees, with cool water going through the boat
  • If the water is fairly warm(warm being over 70 degrees) it's not going to cool the electronics as well so you might see temps getting a bit higher, maybe to the mid 150s or so.
  • Be sure you're not "over-propping" your boat. Depending on the weight of the boat, a 55-57mm prop is probably the largest you should be trying to run
  • You might want to consider using a 200 amp ESC if you decide to really push the boats as my "expert" has recorded spikes up to around 170 amps with a data logger when the boat was jumping on rough water
Now, I've got a little bonus for you. My "Expert" has told me I can give you his contact information, if you want or need it. The restriction is it doesn't get put on the open forum so, if you're interested, let me know

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 04-01-2022 at 06:10 PM.