Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

1/8 scale hydro to electric conversion help

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

1/8 scale hydro to electric conversion help

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 02:15 PM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Been getting the set-up runs completed. The Miller American is closest. Handling is good and balance finally there. Wondering what is acceptable engine temp after run? I never brought temp gauge to pond but figured water jacket would take care of everything but touched it today and it felt hot. What should it be as you take it out of pond???

Thanks
Old 04-01-2022, 06:07 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Had to call in some re-enforcement on this one since I only had a rough idea. What I was told is this:
  • If you can't hold the motor by the end caps without burning your fingers, it's too hot. Now then, let's get to the details
  • Using a infra-red temp gun, your battery packs, ESC and motor(checked on the ends, not the cooling jacket) should be no warmer than 140 degrees, with cool water going through the boat
  • If the water is fairly warm(warm being over 70 degrees) it's not going to cool the electronics as well so you might see temps getting a bit higher, maybe to the mid 150s or so.
  • Be sure you're not "over-propping" your boat. Depending on the weight of the boat, a 55-57mm prop is probably the largest you should be trying to run
  • You might want to consider using a 200 amp ESC if you decide to really push the boats as my "expert" has recorded spikes up to around 170 amps with a data logger when the boat was jumping on rough water
Now, I've got a little bonus for you. My "Expert" has told me I can give you his contact information, if you want or need it. The restriction is it doesn't get put on the open forum so, if you're interested, let me know

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 04-01-2022 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-02-2022, 10:10 AM
kevinthoele

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Had to call in some re-enforcement on this one since I only had a rough idea. What I was told is this:
  • If you can't hold the motor by the end caps without burning your fingers, it's too hot. Now then, let's get to the details
  • Using a infra-red temp gun, your battery packs, ESC and motor(checked on the ends, not the cooling jacket) should be no warmer than 140 degrees, with cool water going through the boat
  • If the water is fairly warm(warm being over 70 degrees) it's not going to cool the electronics as well so you might see temps getting a bit higher, maybe to the mid 150s or so.
  • Be sure you're not "over-propping" your boat. Depending on the weight of the boat, a 55-57mm prop is probably the largest you should be trying to run
  • You might want to consider using a 200 amp ESC if you decide to really push the boats as my "expert" has recorded spikes up to around 170 amps with a data logger when the boat was jumping on rough water
Now, I've got a little bonus for you. My "Expert" has told me I can give you his contact information, if you want or need it. The restriction is it doesn't get put on the open forum so, if you're interested, let me know
That would be great. My number is 281-615-8455. Have him text or call me. Glad to speak with someone more in the know then me!!!
Old 04-02-2022, 01:32 PM
kevinthoele

Hydro

You can also text me his contact information and I will keep it between us. Also, my Circus is a little heavier. Should I use smaller prop on it. I have a 57 mm on the Miller and it is running well now
Old 04-02-2022, 03:27 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by kevinthoele
That would be great. My number is 281-615-8455. Have him text or call me. Glad to speak with someone more in the know then me!!!
Trust me, he's more in the know than I am as well. We spent almost an hour talking, last night, before I did my post above. Since the only thing him and his family race is FG electric scales he knows his stuff, so much more than I that it makes me look like a rank beginner, which I am not. I'll send you a PM with his name and number a bit later.
Old 04-03-2022, 10:30 AM
kevinthoele

Trust me, he's more in the know than I am as well. We spent almost an hour talking, last night, before I did my post above. Since the only thing him and his family race is FG electric scales he knows his stuff, so much more than I that it makes me look like a rank beginner, which I am not. I'll send you a PM with his name and number a bit later.
Thanks look forward to talking to him
Old 04-03-2022, 10:32 AM
kevinthoele

Also just spoke with Props 4 U and ordered two props to try. But will really be interested in your guys take of FE Hydros
Old 04-03-2022, 01:22 PM
Hydro Junkie

You have incoming!!!!!
I have some of Mark's props as well. He does really nice work and, when you get down to it, his prices are actually really good.
Old 04-04-2022, 07:39 AM
kevinthoele

You have incoming!!!!!
I have some of Mark's props as well. He does really nice work and, when you get down to it, his prices are actually really good.
I felt his prices were fair. It fun not to have to spend $500 everytime your order something. Boats are for sure a more cost effective hobby then turbines!!