RCU Forums - View Single Post - Flitfire Cub
Thread: Flitfire Cub
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2022, 04:03 PM
GiantModeler

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default A Time To Join

In my lifetime, I have joined many things: the Army, my wife in marriage, my local RC club. But the thing I dread joining most is wing halves. I’m much more comfortable building aircraft with wings that plug in. It seems to me a lot easier to set incidence and dihedral.

Speaking of dihedral, what is it for a full-scale Cub? According to calculations done from actual measurements, it’s 0.64 degrees for each wing half. Now, what dihedral occurs if one follows the Goldberg directions? Let’s see.

With the kit-supplied dihedral risers in the prescribed position, the upward angle for the right wing half measured 2.4 degrees. In this, and the following two pictures, the left wing half is flat against my level bench.

When I moved the supports to the outermost rib, the angle decreased to 2.0 degrees, still too much.

I removed the Goldberg risers and slid an aileron under the last rib. The result? A 1.2 degree upward angle. Divide that by 2 and you get 0.6 degrees, close enough!

Once I had determined the proper amount to elevate the right wing tip, I immobilized both wing halves with weights and pins and went searching for the plywood center braces. Having found them, I glued them onto their respective spars with 30-minute epoxy instead of the specified CA, clamped them, and walked away.

All the center reinforcements glued in place. Note the carpenter's level clamped to the trailing edge to assure alignment.

And this is what I saw as I walked away to take a nap.

Upon return, I finished sheeting the upper center section and called it a day.

The top center sheeting in progress . . .

and completed.