RCU Forums - View Single Post - Carf rebel pro
Thread: Carf rebel pro
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2023, 08:40 AM
sewbusy

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by bodywerks
I wonder if they have changed the way they lay up the fuse since I got mine, because I was 3/8-1/2" behind the tube with a full uat, 1/8 tank of fuel, 3S 5200mah li-ion all the way up in the nose, forward of the former, and two 5200mah li-ions mounted on the nose gear plate. It still flew fine but was a little 'loose' feeling. Hopefully my next one balances as nicely as yours(my dumbass sold my first one!).
I totally agree with you about selling your first one! :-) I'm not sure if CARF changed how they lay it up....However, I definitely did not add any extra "back-end" weight other than what is required for installing the thrust tube and the needed sets of wires for the servos there. I did use a ceramic sleeve (from McMasterCarr) which protects the servo wires for up to 2400F heat.

So, I was MORE than surprised (after checking Russell & Scott where they have their Rebel Pro & MAX balanced) on finding that I was nose heavy. Yesterday I added fuel to the 250ml Digitech UAT and also added about 1/6th fuel to the tank & rechecked the balance. I had to move one of the 5000Mah (PowerBox) battery back 30 inches for her to balance in the middle, exact center of the wing tube.I fully understand that it is recommended by CARF and flyers to have it at the back of the tube....but for my first flight, I wanted to err on a little nose heavy side of things rather than have to clean shorts after the first flight!
These photos are where one of the batteries is located just in front of the 6L tank and the other 3 batteries up front on the tray.

The weather sucks this weekend in GA so the maiden will be deferred to the following weekend.
Wayne