RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite P51D Mustang finishing a long term project
Old 04-24-2023, 01:01 PM
gonzalobures

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Top Flite P51D Mustang finishing a long term project

This is my 3rd P51D model. The first two were 65" wingspan fiberglass fuselage models. The scale of these two Mustangs was exceptional. The wing was foam core Obechee sheeted. The first one I finished as the Tuskegee Airmen Capt Roscoe Brown Bunnie. The second one was Capt Preddy,s Cripes a' Mighty 3rd. Both models flew in competitions and earned a 3rd place and 2nd place in the Coqui Nationals in the 90's. I loved this models and they flew very well. They had operational drop tanks, retracts in the mains and tail wheel, and the five additional control surfaces including throttle. The models were both powered by OS 1.08 they mighty mite of glow engines at the time.

This s my 3rd P51D. I decided to go larger due to my eye sight which is no longer prime as it once was. It is the no longer produced Top Flite Giant scale Mustang, kit. Not the ARF. I have had this model almost finished in my shop for over 12 years. It has all the required accessories; Robart retracts, Robart scale tires, 3w 55i (not ever started), servos, scale cabin, spinner,etc. I am planning on finishing it as Roscoe Browns Bunnie once again.

It was exposed to the damp air in my open shop. The wood is very dry and easy to sand to prepare for glassing. It did require some ding repair and a section of the fuselage nose top had been wet and i replaced that balsa.

I started the finishing process by removing all the items installed for so long.

Once the fuselage and wing were stripped, I glassed the fuselage interior to reinforce the balsa. This added a few ounces of weight to the structure, but certainly the reinforcement brings peace of mind.

I then proceeded to install a modern type of engine mount with the normally used metal towers. The assembly is mounted on an 1/4" aluminum plate for sturdiness and proper flat mounting surface for the 3W. The interior nose area was also glassed to fuel proof and strengthen. I had to open an areas in the center of the aluminum plate to be able to pass thru the rear carburator iengine. It all fitted perfectly including the muffler. Also, there is perfect access to the fuel needles from the side. Finally I fitted the spinner to insure that it was still all squared with the P51D nose.

I then proceeded to install the fuel tank. The Top Flite P51D seems to have an enormous area to install a tank. That is so if you use a side carbonation engine. With rear carbonation, you require to install throttle linkage and choke too. Initially I had installed two tanks in series. I replaced this install with a 27 oz tank but had to modify the install for it to fit. Finally the install was perfect, the tank fitted well and the required space for the carburetor linkages available..

Now the model is ready for sanding and prep for fiber glassing. I am not to experienced in this process. My only full size model glassing was on the wings of my HE 162 Salamander. I consulted a couple of my fellow modelers, Ramon Medina and Wilfredo Rivera who have a lot of experience.
I started by sanding the 6 control surface and preparing for the cloth and resin. This parts are for me the most arduous since they are small and hard to handle. Finally, I finished the glassing these surfaces; 2 elevator, 2 flaps and 2 Ailerons. I utilized 3/4 oz cloth and finishing resin. One coat too adhere the cloth and one coat to fill and finished the surfaces.
The next step will be to refit the surfaces to model and insure that the hinges and gaps are all as planned. Then primmer the six surfaces and leave for final finishing, when the full model is primmed, painting.