RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nice new kit: OSMW Javelin
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2023, 07:49 AM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Steelman93
How are you doing on the build? I have the same kit and have finished the wing, tail and fuselage and need to get electronics but am totally overwhelmed. I am new to the hobby and this is my first build. What servos are you using? The kit calls for standard servos, but I see standard listed from 9 gram to 37 gram, anywhere from $10 to $200. I understand differences, i.e. nylon gear vs metal, digital vs analog etc...but not what those differences mean. For an airplane like this....what do I really need? Looking to learn from your experience on this.

thanks
I haven't even removed the wood from the box yet, as I am in the middle of several other projects. I might start building it within a few weeks.

I know how overwhelming it must be to be new to building planes and all of the decisions you have to make. Information overload.

So far, I am planning on using Hitec HS-225MG servos on all control surfaces, and a Hitec 82MG on the throttle. I like Hitec servos, but some people prefer other brands. 225's are smaller (and lighter) and usually stronger than standard servos in torque, and I used them with good success on my SIG Somethin' Extra (plus I used them all the time 15-20 years ago, before I got out of the hobby for a while). But, because 225's are smaller and the servo holes are already cut out, I will need to study the plans and parts and see what I need to do to compensate for small servos going into regular sized holes.

On servos, nylon gears are lighter and less expensive than metal (designated by "MG" in the name), but less durable. Nylon gears are fine for a plane like this, but metal gears hold up much better to impacts from crashing, bumping into door jambs, etc. Ball bearings in a servo (designated by "BB" in the name) are another very worthwhile upgrade, because ball bearing usually last much longer than bushings, which wear out from friction. I just measured the holes and they are sized for common standard servos. Hitec servo specifications can be found at the links below:

Hitec micro/mini

Hitec standard

The HS-422 and HS-425 servos would fit great in the Javelin servo holes, and work just fine for a plane like this.

I am also planning on removing the Saito .62 from my Somethin' Extra and putting it on the Javelin. It is a perfect match for my SSE, so I think it will do well on the Javelin. For a 2-stroke engine, I think a .46 would be just about right, with excellent performance. I just like big props with low pitch for my style of flying, plus I love the sound of a 4-stroke and dislike the sound of any 2-stroke.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions, and anyone else feel free to offer differing thoughts or equipment recommendations.

Last edited by Outrider6; 06-05-2023 at 07:51 AM.