RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nice new kit: OSMW Javelin
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2023, 11:54 AM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Update: It is nearly completely framed. More sanding (finishing) before gluing on tail, more sanding on wing (shaping & finishing), then covering.

I am weird - I built the floats before I built the plane that will use them. I had space on my workbench at the time to build floats, but not a plane. Once it proves itself flying from land, then I will try it from water, which I haven't done in over 20 years, but I remember that as the most fun I EVER had with planes. The floats will just bolt on, in place of the wheel axles, and have a rear brace and water rudder. I am trying to figure out how to attach the water rudder to the air rudder, yet have it quickly and easily removable for when I go back to flying from land.

The wing turned out much lighter than I expected, but the fuselage a good bit heavier. Preliminary CG check (ALWAYS do that while building, as it gives you a chance to modify the construction, instead of adding dead weight) shows that it will probably be nose-heavy with my Saito .62. I was focused on not making it tail-heavy, and foolishly got heavy with the fuel-proofing and glue toward the nose.

It's a good kit, and quite obvious that the designer put a ton of time and thought into the design. Being a former mechanical engineer myself, I would not be surprised if the designer was one too. Or maybe aeronautical, with a strong knowledge of structures. I think it would make a good 2nd kit for a newer modeler to both build and fly. The instructions are great, but there are things you need to already know or figure out, as it is impossible to cover everything, and there are always discrepancies and errors on plans/instructions. I feel certain it is going to fly really well, and it will be good to be flying "on the wing", instead of "on the engine". The former is where I fly much better, having flown full scale years ago.