RCU Forums - View Single Post - F3A Formosa ARF Park Flyer GWS
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2003, 05:18 PM
donwojtas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F3A Formosa ARF Park Flyer GWS

Hi again Wayne

Sorry to confuse you re -the BEC cut-off. I was only referring to lithium poly batteries which if discharged to deeply will kill the battery cell. If you ever decide to invest in lithium batteries read up on them before deciding how many cells to purchase. Plenty of info in this forum or on Goggle.

RE the motor- I had one C cell ( wires soldered to the C cell with alligator clips--also used to break in motor) hooked to the motor as I rotated the backplate clockwise and definitely heard an increase in RPM. The RPM would continue to increase by going past 1/4 inch-7mm but his would be bad for the motor. Some people just take the red dot on the backplate to the clockwise side of the crimp it is closest too. If you had your battery pack hooked to the motor it might have been more difficult to detect the change in RPM verses using one cell. NOTE: make sure you are running the motor bacwards when re-timing.

The reason we re-time the 300 or 350 motor is it is running backwards due to the type of gearbox GWS is using. To get proper direction of the prop the motor is wired backwards. ( IF you look at the back-plate you will see the black lead is going to the positive terminal on the motor. ) For whatever reason (probably economics) the motors GWS buys from Mabuchie do not have the timing optimized to run backwards. If you used a planetary gearbox the motor would run in the same direction as the motor and this would not be an issue.

I did notice some improvement in my Formosa with the re-timed motor but a brush-less ( I have an 020 in my ZAGI) will be like an after-burner. Follow the instructions on your brush-less motor/controller to make you motor run backwards.

The Formosa like a little power when landing especially in grass.

Good Luck
Don