RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ignorant people who should know better
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2003, 06:19 PM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ignorant people who should know better

[quote]ORIGINAL: FLYBOY

Originally posted by Ross Kean

well said. There are 2 things I don't really understand. When you walk up to someone obviously flying a model plane, why would you position yourself between that person and the plane? Even if you know nothing you would think that common sense dictates not to do that.
I had the exact same thing happen when I was stationed in Germany. It was the weekend right after 9/11. I went to the field where I normally flew and there were a whole lot of soldiers on guard duty. I found the Sergeant of the Guard and asked if I could fly. He said sure.

So I fueled up my plane and flew. Now the plane I was flying is small, lightweight and transparent. Here it is in case you're interested and this story is on this web page too.

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/galler...onzo/index.htm

Not too dangerous looking right? Well, about 3 minutes after take-off, an MP vehicle pulls up with it lights and sirens going and demanding that I land. I don't have any issue with any of that. I knew flying would be chancy due to recent events.

BUT... the guy parked right in the middle of the field. I asked him several times to move his vehicle so I could land. He kept saying, "Just land." Dude, I can not land. Your vehicle is in the middle of the runway!

To make it worse, that plane is floater and needs a long, low approach to get down. He never did move his vehicle, so my only option was to make a low pass over it and dive my plane into the ground. Then there was the Spanish Inquisition and then I went home and started flying at a German club after that.