RCU Forums - View Single Post - GP DR-1 Fokker set up & sugestions?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004, 10:43 PM
WinterHawke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP DR-1 Fokker set up & sugestions?

Howdy, Bull-RCU

I've been flying the Great Planes Fokker DR1 Triplane for the past year and a half, and have really enjoyed it. Mine's been to Dayton Ohio as a part of the Dawn Patrol 2003, as well has the HAWKS Four Cycle Rally and the GCRCC Flying Circus. It's flown on asphalt and grass, and the covering has been modified to emulate the original Rotary Triplane at Old Rhinebeck. Following are some random thoughts on the bird.

The key to the GP Triplane seems to be making absolutely certain that you do not attempt to fly it tailheavy - even a little bit! I can assure you that it was one of the most interesting flights an aeroplane ever took me for on the maiden flight, 'til I got enough weight in the cowling to matter!!!

You're probably spot-on with the .91 engine. Mine uses the O.S. 70, and while it's plenty of power, there isn't a ton of reserve, and my opinion has always been that if you're going to add noseweight to a plane, it might as well have a propeller attached.

Mine is essentially stock (except for colors), with the following changes:

a) 4/40 Blind Nuts and Bolts in place of the machine screws holding the wings together (I just felt nervous with the machine screws).
b) Soldering the elevator pushrod halves instead of trusting a wheelcollar to hold things together (I'm just not that trusting).
c) Standard pin hinges in place of the CA hinges (I'm too old fashioned to trust them) - and on the rudder, I used three, fitting them end to end to end (Making the rudder post one long hinge). That rudder cannot possibly be allowed to fail.
d) Wingtip skids were added after the first flying sessions. They are well worth the effort on asphalt, and not worth a darn on grass.
e) Leader streamers on the outer wingstruts, just because they looked really cool (it doesn't seem to faze the aeroplane one bit).

Takeoffs are fairly simple, in that I hold a touch of up elevator, steer straight with rudder, and let her go - but it helps a whole lot if it's into the wind. Remember that it's a World War One aeroplane not the least bit happy about crosswinds.

My flying experiences with the Triplane (once it's balanced) is that it is definite a rudder airplane. I initiate turns first with rudder, then aileron to balance the turn. Probably aileron differential would help the adverse yaw, but so does rudder, and that's why the things back there anyway.

Aerobatics are fairly straight-forward, although speed entering rolls is definitely a plus - note that I only do prototypical stunts, so cannot and will not comment on 3D Schtuff. My favorite maneuver with the plane is the spin - I wish my pattern airplanes back in the 80's would have spun so nice and predictable!!!

Landings are a whole 'nother sport! You almost have to be into the wind to have a decent landing. Between that, and the fact that the landing gear has no shock absorbsion whatsoever means that inevitably you're going to drop a wing (that's where the skids on asphalt come in), and this leads to my sole complaint on the plane.

That lower wing has got to be the most fragile structure ever designed. Between myself and flying buddy Del Johnson, we've done major repairs and/or replacements of the lower wing six times after catching a wingtip on landing. Granted, some of the damage was warranted, but several were not. Keep a very sharp eye on the lower wing, and don't dispair, it is repairable. You'll find that there is no hardwood at all near the rear spars (very light balsa only) and the leading edge seems to rely on the monokote as much as anything to hold everything together (that notch in the leading edge).

Even with that, the Triplane is a blast to fly, and a real attention getter at the flying field - way in excess to the effort needed to get it flying. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.

Follows are some photos of our triplanes:

'til later,

Lee McDuffee
the WinterHawke
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24288.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	90937