RCU Forums - View Single Post - ??? about Yellow Aircraft Extra 300s .30 size
Old 01-17-2004, 09:20 AM
epeltz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ??? about Yellow Aircraft Extra 300s .30 size

Well last night I went to my LHS with the fuse. and the mounts that are already set up on the firewall. I had my decision down between the TT .36 or the TT .40. The price was about 2 bucks difference so that didn't play into deciding what to do. It turned out that the .36 fits in to the mount perfect and no adjustments needed to be made other then re-drilling new holes for the new engine. I was able to use the mount that came with it as well as not move it. The .36 tt has same hp output as the .40la and is a BB engine. The .40 tt had about .22 more hp but had to redo the mounting setup. The only thing is the .36 is 11oz vs the 16.03oz of the .40 tt. I got the .36 and before I mount it and finish the plane I wanted to know if you guys think that this plane and engine will be a good combination. My friend at the LHS has been flying for over 20 years and he said if it was his plane he would put the .36 and it was the one 2 bucks cheaper so I know he wasn't trying to make a sell. I am assuming I will need alot of weight in the front but if you guys think its best to go back and do the work for the .40 he said bring it back in today and he will exchange it for the larger size. I did notice this Extra is about the same size as my GP Super Sportster which I fly with a Royal .46. The wing span and overall weight is very close. But the wing area is much small due to the shap of the 300s. If you guys flew this extra 300s with an .40LA it should do good with the .36 TT due to its comparison on the product page. Let me know what you think please.

Ed