Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

??? about Yellow Aircraft Extra 300s .30 size

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

??? about Yellow Aircraft Extra 300s .30 size

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 08:12 AM
epeltz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ??? about Yellow Aircraft Extra 300s .30 size

I am finishing up an YA Extra 300s that I had sitting around for a year or so after my Dad and I saw it at the Toledo show. I have a few ? about this plane.

First I noticed most people were upping the engine size to a .40 size. I was setting mine up with a .29 Fox that my dad and I had found that runs good from a swap meet for dirt cheap. I am starting to think this might not be good to use this engine. So before I complete the plane (engine is already mounted and cowl cut so I would have to order a new cowl,but no biggie) I was thinking of changing the engine now before I waste my time at the field. If I do go with something like a .40 size LA, or cheaper Thunder Tiger engine what mount did you guys use? I am thinking of keeping the .29 Fox for a lighter weight profile plane that doesn't weigh as much as this 300s. I got the idea after reading about that new extreme Mini 3D, the engine might go good with that plane or something similar.

Second, the control throws that are in the manual have only one setting. For those that have flown this plane, are these more of a high or low rate. I know each person sets their plane up a bit different but was wondering what was the best setup to have low and high rates on it. I like having low rates set when taking off and landing but do like to give it more when doing aerobatics. I am going into my 4th season of flying so I still try and take it easy with the amount of throws I use.

Ed
Old 01-16-2004, 10:35 AM
300s nut

Default RE: ??? about Yellow Aircraft Extra 300s .30 size

Hello Ed. If I were you I would go with the 40LA. on the engine mount that came with the plane. I used to have mine set up like this untill my 40LA. finally died after about 3 years of excelent preformance. I now have my YA extra 300s .30 size hooked up with a .46FX! Unlimited everything is the best way to put it. If you don't mind spending the extra 60.00, this would be the way to go. When you go to balance the aircraft you will NEED to add quite a bit of weight up front, even with the FX. I also have the battery up against the firewall. Get larger wheels unless you are taking off of a paved runway. Now lets talk about the controll throws. Use the recommended rates as low rates for the first flight. I only have a 4ch. Futaba with one rate set up so I couldn't do this. After the first couple of flights I bumped up the rates quite a bit. I don't know the exatct rates but the rudderl has about 1/8 of an inch between it and the elevator when I hold full right/left. I bumped up the elevator as far as it would go on the control horn. I wish I had high and low rates but you get used to this set up. I havent touched the rates on the ailerons yet. I am happy with about 1 roll per sec. Did I mention that this is only my seccond plane. I learned from an awsome instructor two yrs ago when I was 15 on a superstar and it just came naturally to me. If you have any questions about the plane ... sorry got to go.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:14 PM
captainpitts-RCU
My Feedback: (24)

get a tt pro .46 I think they are around $80 and they preform flawlessly. I had the 30 size cap with this setup and it was awsome.

Steve
Old 01-16-2004, 02:17 PM
epeltz

Ok I talked to YA to order a new Cowl and fuel tank (damaged the first one), and he said that a 40 could be used but after a while he thinks the wing can not handle it. You guys that put these engines in are obviously proving it wrong. I also talked to my LHS and he said he thinks a TT pro .36 BB would be a great fit for this plane and I do like the BB engines better, seem to be smoother. I have a .25LA I got for xmass that I am returning tonight and might get the .36. If this plane was design for a 30 size engine why does it need so much weight in the front for the GC to come in? Just wondering. So I am off to the LHS later tonight and hope I know what engine to get by then. So far its the .36 tt or a .40 size tt or os. I think .46 is a bit to much and I am still in the early stages of the hobby. This will be my 4th full year of flying and 5th or 6th ARF. I wished I would have made up my mine before I mounted and cut the cowl for the .29 fox. Now i will more then likely have to move the mounts for the new engine. Thanks for all the help guys.

Ed
Old 01-16-2004, 02:24 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Two cents...maybe not related.

First, I haven't owned the yellow aircraft.

I used to own an EZ extra 230 with a wingspan of 52 inches. It was advertised as a .25 aircraft at that time. A friend had the same plane. I put an OS .32 SX in mine (same case size as the .25), and he opted for the larger OS .40. Mine performed much better due to the lighter wing loading and it flew longer on the available gas.

The specs on the yellow are very similar, so I would recommend getting the lightest engine you can with the most power (LA ain't it). I bigger engine doesn't neccesarily equate to better performance.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:27 PM
epeltz

Ok I just did some comparisons on the product guide page. the .40 tt pro BB is 5 bucks cheaper and weighs almost 5oz more then the .36 tt. So is I will need nose weight I guess I should go w/ the .40 tt and just watch the throttle input. The tt .40 weighs even more then the .46 tt. The .40 comes in at 16.03oz per this page's product guide. (hope it's accurate) Will 16oz be too much?

Ed
Old 01-17-2004, 09:20 AM
epeltz

Well last night I went to my LHS with the fuse. and the mounts that are already set up on the firewall. I had my decision down between the TT .36 or the TT .40. The price was about 2 bucks difference so that didn't play into deciding what to do. It turned out that the .36 fits in to the mount perfect and no adjustments needed to be made other then re-drilling new holes for the new engine. I was able to use the mount that came with it as well as not move it. The .36 tt has same hp output as the .40la and is a BB engine. The .40 tt had about .22 more hp but had to redo the mounting setup. The only thing is the .36 is 11oz vs the 16.03oz of the .40 tt. I got the .36 and before I mount it and finish the plane I wanted to know if you guys think that this plane and engine will be a good combination. My friend at the LHS has been flying for over 20 years and he said if it was his plane he would put the .36 and it was the one 2 bucks cheaper so I know he wasn't trying to make a sell. I am assuming I will need alot of weight in the front but if you guys think its best to go back and do the work for the .40 he said bring it back in today and he will exchange it for the larger size. I did notice this Extra is about the same size as my GP Super Sportster which I fly with a Royal .46. The wing span and overall weight is very close. But the wing area is much small due to the shap of the 300s. If you guys flew this extra 300s with an .40LA it should do good with the .36 TT due to its comparison on the product page. Let me know what you think please.

Ed
Old 01-19-2004, 05:25 PM
300s nut

Default RE: ??? about <span class=

Whats up? I am not quite sure why mine came out so tail heavy.. Let me know what engine you went with, and how much weight you needed to balance your plane.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2004, 06:14 PM
epeltz

Hey 300s nut

How did your YA 300s 30 fly with that 40LA? The 36 tt pro has about the same specs as the 40La but fits into my already setup mounts on the fire wall. (I was going to put a .25 size engine in it and had it setup originally for that) The 36 slides right into the mount, but I am waiting to hear how your performance was with the similar 40La. I know now you have a 46 but wanted to know if it flew pretty good with the 40. To put the 40-46 tt pro I need to remove the mounts and start over.

ed
Old 01-20-2004, 12:52 PM
300s nut

Like I said in the e-mail try the engine. If it has the same amount of power as the .40la it will fly just fine. It has great speed and performance with a 11X5 apc, but you wont have much verticle no matter what. I use a 11X7 apc with my .46 and the setup has good level and insane virticle performance. You can always upgrade and you have a good plane to work with. As soon as I can I will post some pics of my plane and set up. By the way, did you get your cowl yet. When I ordered mine it took about 4 days around Christmas so I figure you will get it soon. Then you can cut holes in that $37.00 piece of beautifully painted fiberglass!
Old 01-21-2004, 07:46 AM
epeltz

To 300s & Captainpitts,

You both did it! I have made an executive decision to take back the .36TT and get the .46 TT pro. I just need to move one mount and re do the new cowl. After reading all your notes and looking at that new cowl, I did not want to order a 3rd one if I go to a bigger engine in the future. This 46 will do it for the life of the plane (how short or long it will be) I have a super sportster from GP that has a .46 in it and all measurements including weight are very close. The only thing that is a bit smaller is the wing area by about 50in^2. And that plane flys nice with the 46. I also can use the .46 in many more planes.

So when you guys mounted the larger engine did you keep it 4 5/8in from the fire wall, per the manual still? If you have any other suggestions please let me know. I am going to plug the old holes in the FW with dowels and epoxy an then mount this puppy by th end of the week. I am going to hack up my old cowl first so I don't waste a new one. BTW my new cowl was a shade brighter then the old one, 300s did your 2nd cowl match or was it off a bit. I see you listed what prop you used so I might start with that one.

Ed
Old 01-21-2004, 10:35 AM
300s nut

TO EPELTZ
My 2nd cowl coloring was a bit off but when I got the plane last year, the covering and the cowl didn't match exactly anyway. Just a tip, if you want your cowl to look really nice after you cut it, buy some fine cockpit combing. It makes the edge look good and prevents it from flaking or cracking, you will see mine in the pics soon! I am glad to hear that you went with the .46, are you going to get a pitts? I have a Slimline on mine but I dont know what company would make one for your engine. Just wondering where do you fly? I am from Bucks County PA. and I fly at a club calld D.V.R.C. (Deleware Valley R/C Club). I have a few other suggestions for the set up of your plane. Besides taking off the wheel pants and using larger wheels, I have a Slimline in-line fuel filler, I think it is a Slimline. This works really well. The fuel is cut off to the carb and when your tank is full, the excess just runs out of the muffler. You will need to drill 2 holes in the firewall for this set up unless you mount it to the cowl. Mine is mounted in the fuse. just behind the firewall. I really need to post those pics to show you what I am talking about! Hopefully I can post them Saturday or sunday. Talk to you later
Brandon.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:12 AM
captainpitts-RCU
My Feedback: (24)

ED,

You will love that plane with that engine! I set mine up as per the instructions as far as mounting the engine goes. For the prop I would try an APC 12x4 or 12.25x3.75 or even an 11x4 These props will give you great vertical and awesome acceleration and keep you landing speed as well as level flight speed in a manageable range. Keep us posted as to how it's going and let me know if there are any more question I'm glad to help.

Steve
Old 02-05-2004, 10:15 AM
300s nut

What's up guys? I took pictures of my plane but I am still traying to figure out how to e-mail them. How is the extra cumming together? talk to u later