RCU Forums - View Single Post - STALLING
Thread: STALLING
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2004, 07:35 PM
Phlip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: STALLING

Rather than take wild guesses in a kind of hit-or-miss approach, how about a little logical troubleshooting?

Try running the engine at flight speed anchored to the ground. Does it run out a full tank? If so, you can (most likely) eliminate fuel and/or glow problems as the cause. If it stops after two or three minutes, the plane is right there and the fuel line is visible, so bubbles or foaming fuel would be apparent.

After the engine is warmed up for a few minutes, play with the throttle. You might be able to detect a bad needle valve setting. Or keep your transmitter antenna down and walk away from the model. This is how you perform a radio range check--always a good idea, and better with the engine running.

I've used this common sense approach to help out several guys in my club, and usually the problems become apparent fairly quickly. But I did have a problem once that I couldn't find this way. My engine would run fine on the ground, level, nose up, nose down, full throttle, half throttle...although it wouldn't idle well. In the air it would quit. {BTW, when you say a plane "Stalls" you're saying it stops flying and (usually) drops the nose. When your talking about the engine, you should say "the engine stops running."} The problem with my engine was a loose crankcase back plate. Would not allow consistent fuel draw.

Good luck,

Phil