RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gas 4 strokes?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2004, 07:40 AM
pete913

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gas 4 strokes?

I'd really like to see someone do the development work necessary to make these things successful in RC. That old stuff about 4 strokes not having the power potential to me is BS. Anyone seen a winston cup or an NHRA championship won by a 2 stroke lately?4 stroke power potential is there.Sure these little weedies don't match present day 2 strokes power wise, my guess why is because , most of 'em have an intake and exhaust tract about like a farm tractor engine, lousy combustion chamber shape, valves and ports half the size they could be, low speed industrial cam timing, compromise ignition timing etc. Put a box muffler off a weedeater, on your 3w and see how much power it makes. Personally, I'd love to see a mainstream manufacturer, such as Honda, get into this. The heaviness of the engine could be trimmed a lot I'll bet, and maybe it'd wake up OS,YS, Saito, name your favorite, to some facts about 4 cycles. No 1. why on earth does a 4 cycle engine need glow fuel and a glow plug? It doesn't. Put the oil in the crankcase where it belongs, and quit diluting the fuel mixture with it. Diluted fuel mixtures should be the province of the 2 stroke, not 4 strokes. Put on an ignition system, a good Hall effect system, with controllable timing, weighs a few ounces, offset by the power increase of being able to run straight gasoline, and getting rid of the heavy magneto flywheel. put on a REAL carburetor, with mid range metering etc.Change cam timing to something appropriate to the rpm range used in a model airplane, with valve and intake/exhaust port sizes to match. A 2 stroke operates with a compressed fuel charge that's half old exhaust, and oil in the fresh charge. No 4 stroke suffers from these obvious defects in its operation, or shouldn't anyway.